Error when running Excel Buffer table UpdateBook Function

matthewtaingmatthewtaing Member Posts: 52
edited 2014-06-02 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

I'm encountering this error below when I tried to replicate the code from Report 29 to Update an excel worksheet. I've tried to debug it and it stops at the code

XlWrkBkWriter := XlWrkBkWriter.Open(FileNameServer);

The filename that was passed in to the function is using the same concept as Report 29 where I use the file management codeunit to do a silent upload and get the filenameserver back from the function and then pass it into the updatebook function. The following is some snippets of code :-

1. Getting filenameserver
IF UploadedFileName = '' THEN
  ClientFileName := FileMgt.OpenFileDialog(Text006,UploadedFileName,'')
ELSE
  ClientFileName := FileMgt.OpenFileDialog(Text006,'.xlsx','');

UploadedFileName := FileMgt.GetFileName(ClientFileName);
ServerFileName := FileMgt.UploadFileSilent(ClientFileName);
FileName := UploadedFileName;

ValidateServerFileName;

2. Code that runs the excel buffer updatebook function. The error prompts on the first line below
ExcelBufTmp.UpdateBook(ServerFileName,SheetName);
ExcelBufTmp.WriteSheet('',COMPANYNAME,USERID);
ExcelBufTmp.CloseBook;
ExcelBufTmp.OverwriteAndOpenExistingExcel(ClientFileName);
ExcelBufTmp.GiveUserControl;

Will post up the object file if required. Hope it can be resolved before that.

Thanks

Answers

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    A ton of things can cause errors like this. Often uninstalling and reinstalling either NAV or Excel will fix it. DO you get the same error on a different computer.
    David Singleton
  • matthewtaingmatthewtaing Member Posts: 52
    Yes, I did try to run this code in another computer and the same error happened.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Create a new excel file that has .xlsx file ending and try that file.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • matthewtaingmatthewtaing Member Posts: 52
    wow...it works after creating a new excel file and copy and pasting the content to the excel file. Thank you very much!. Never thought it is the file that's having problem.
    #-o #-o
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    you are welcome.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Andreas_WenzelAndreas_Wenzel Member Posts: 4
    I encounter the same error message and in the meantime I came to the conclusion that this is an error in the openXML implementation.

The error occours whenever you use user defined cell formats. There are several predefined formats in the OpenXML standard. User defined formats have to start with an internal number of 164 (magic number). You can review the list of predefined formats in Excel when you right click on the cell and select format.

One of the predefined currency formats (at the end of this list) is: _-* #.##0 €_-;-* #.##0 €_-;_-* "-" €_-;_-@_-

The internal ID is 42 so it's a 'standard' format. Nevertheless, whenever I try to use the UpdateBook function of T370 I get the same error, since OpenXML interprets the format as user defined and therefore expects its number to start with 164. Unbelievable!

I haven't found a solution for, except avoiding those formats, but this isn't always easy since the business requires such formatting.
  • rocatisrocatis Member Posts: 163
    I haven't found a solution for, except avoiding those formats
    Just a heads up: there now is a fix for this error: https://mbs2.microsoft.com/Knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2934564
    Brian Rocatis
    Senior NAV Developer
    Elbek & Vejrup