Options

Best job prospects with NAV - which elective subjects?

jeremyspxjeremyspx Member Posts: 22
Hello,
I'm going after this certification:
Microsoft Certified IT Professional: Developer for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009
(it replaces the older Microsoft Certified IT Professional: Developer for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009)

Note You must pass the two required exams and two elective exams to obtain the certification:
Once you have passed the MB7-840 and MB7-841 exams you have to choose 2, among 10 elective subjects:

Required
Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 C/SIDE Introduction MB7-840
Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 C/SIDE Solution Development MB7-841

Electives:
Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Installation and Configuration MB7-838
Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Core Setup and Finance MB7-839
Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Trade and Inventory MB7-842
Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Warehouse Management MB7-843
Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Manufacturing MB7-849

I made it through the MB7-840 and am taking the MB7-841 in 2 weeks from now.

Can anyone tell me which are the best ones among the above electives to concentrate on, in terms of customer demand?

I currently have the Partner status and Developer licenses and intend to operate as an independent NAV Developer.

Many thanks - your advice is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,496
    [Topic moved from 'NAV Three Tier' to 'NAV Courses, Exams & Certification' forum]
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    The hard facts of life are that as an independent developer customers are not likely to care about (or trust) certifications. Its just too easy to fake them, so they will want references and abilities.

Focus on what you enjoy and are comfortable with, build up a customer base and the work will follow.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    I have 35 years as a developer and have some great writeups from customers, which is how I became a license holder for Nav but have only just moved into the NAV world and am wondering where most of the customer demand falls - I mean which of the five categories to concentrate my efforts on.
  • Options
    jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi,

SCM and Core Setup and Finance would be my choice. But the certs are nearly useless, except as a door opener for resume mills and to show Microsoft that you've jumped through the hoops. Whatever that's worth. Yes, I've also made the MCITP :mrgreen:

with best regards

Jens
  • Options
    It's sad about the certifications. Still, I have to go through the training courses, just to make sure I've disovered as much as possible before going to a customer site. I'll join with another vendor for a while to gain some experience in a live environment, as soon as I have the next 2 exams behind me. The split off on my own after a few months.
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
    Jeremy
  • Options
    Tarek_DemiatiTarek_Demiati Member Posts: 112
    Why did you invested in a training and certification on NAV 2009 when NAV 2013 training is available ?

According to the blog post below your NAV developer certification Will no longer be valid on October 2013 :

http://www.waldo.be/2013/02/20/nav-2013 ... verview-2/