Options

Backup Navision

Kc_NirvanaKc_Nirvana Member Posts: 146
Hello...
I have a company in Navision 4.0 SP1 and i want to make a backup of the DB.
The best way is through Navision but I have a problem.
I have "outside" tables that i wanted to pass too.
Which is the best method to do a full total backup of the DB?
Thanks in advance.
Junior Consultant & Developer in Dynamics NAV

"I'm worse at what I do best
And for this gift I feel blessed
Our little group has always been
And always will until the end"

Nirvana - Nevermind - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Answers

  • Options
    lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Please define
    Kc_Nirvana wrote:
    "outside" tables
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    Kc_NirvanaKc_Nirvana Member Posts: 146
    I created tables by SQL that Navision don't read
    Junior Consultant & Developer in Dynamics NAV

    "I'm worse at what I do best
    And for this gift I feel blessed
    Our little group has always been
    And always will until the end"

    Nirvana - Nevermind - Smells Like Teen Spirit
  • Options
    lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Assuming these are in the same NAV db and you want it all in one back-up you have to create a SQL Server back-up.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Kc_Nirvana wrote:
    I created tables by SQL that Navision don't read

    Not a good idea (in same database)
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    Kc_NirvanaKc_Nirvana Member Posts: 146
    lvanvugt wrote:
    Assuming these are in the same NAV db and you want it all in one back-up you have to create a SQL Server back-up.

    But with that backup i can upgrade my version of NAV?

    What i am trying to do is to upgrade from NAV 4.0 SP1 to NAV2009R2.
    I think the best method is to restore all NAV tables from Navision and then restore all "outside" tables with SQL

    What do you think?
    Junior Consultant & Developer in Dynamics NAV

    "I'm worse at what I do best
    And for this gift I feel blessed
    Our little group has always been
    And always will until the end"

    Nirvana - Nevermind - Smells Like Teen Spirit
  • Options
    lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Kc_Nirvana wrote:
    But with that backup i can upgrade my version of NAV?
    No
    Kc_Nirvana wrote:
    What i am trying to do is to upgrade from NAV 4.0 SP1 to NAV2009R2.
    I think the best method is to restore all NAV tables from Navision and then restore all "outside" tables with SQL
    What do you think?
    Agree
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    lvanvugt wrote:
    Kc_Nirvana wrote:
    But with that backup i can upgrade my version of NAV?
    No
    Kc_Nirvana wrote:
    What i am trying to do is to upgrade from NAV 4.0 SP1 to NAV2009R2.
    I think the best method is to restore all NAV tables from Navision and then restore all "outside" tables with SQL
    What do you think?
    Agree


    You can't restore the "outside" tables into an existing database. You'd have to create them and import the records. I'd start by redesigning for NAV2009R2 (why not NAV 2013 at this point), so that your "outside" tables are no longer "outside" tables. That is create them in NAV and migrate the data.

    Or, if you want them to remain "outside" tables, then put them in a separate database and use linked tables from NAV.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
Sign In or Register to comment.