Options

Difference between SQL and SQL Express

anand_murthuanand_murthu Member Posts: 30
edited 2012-12-16 in SQL General
Hi Everyone,

What is the difference between SQL and SQL Express???
Please explain.

regards,
Anand tiwari

Comments

• Options
    ppavukppavuk Member Posts: 334
    Limitations for database size and cores count

Check MS website.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    There are various differences between each of the SQL Editions. You'll find a comparison chart on the MS site.

SQL Express is not a valid choice for a production NAV system.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    bbrown wrote:
    Why not? Doesn't it depend on the needs of the customer?
    Several other threads mention it isn't a problem to use in a production database, as long as you are aware of the limitations.
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    pdj wrote:
    bbrown wrote:
    Why not? Doesn't it depend on the needs of the customer?
    Several other threads mention it isn't a problem to use in a production database, as long as you are aware of the limitations.

The primary reason is that the vast majority of NAV systems will quickly outgrow its limitations. Making even installing it, IMHO, a waste of time.

I'll turn the question a back to you. Why would you even consider its use?
  • Options
    bbrown wrote:
    Why would you even consider its use?
    We have several small customers with only 1-4 users and their Native database is often less than 1gb after more than 10-15 years of production. I consider it a waste of money to recommend anything but the Express edition during their upgrade to NAV2013. You do know it supports up to 10gb of database, and even though it has no Job Agent, it is still easy to setup periodic backup and maintenance jobs and even some file size warning job using Windows Task Scheduler.
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    I see your point. I was not thinking of that small a client. The few "small" client I tend to see are in the 15 user (or so range). Yes, I'm aware of the 10GB database. The limit I was more referring to was the memory.
  • Options
    I guess these small NAV customers are mainly in Denmark, where NAV has been very common for more than 20 years.
    Just an extra challenge, to support both 2 user setups and 200 user setups \:D/
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    We have the little ones here in NL to. And they use Express. (Mine at least).