Options

Advise for SQL course

nikeman77nikeman77 Member Posts: 517
edited 2012-11-21 in General Chat
hi everyone,

I need everyone inputs/ advise for sql courses. i am currently a navision technical developer( still novice). who doesnt have any sql background.

I wanted to take up some SQL courses which would be helpful to my development understanding(navision performance tuning, optimisation). I understand that there are lots of sql course out there (eg: implementing sql, design sql, adminstrating sql etc etc). for my current level, which would be the most appropriate course to start with considering that my current companies already implmenting sql 2008 (unfortunately is maintain by other team) where occasionally i only have chance to do sql backup, create new navision database.

Answers

• Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    If you have not already done so, install the SQL Server Dev edition on your personal PC. If you have enough RAM on your PC (at least 4GB), you can run 2 instances - SQL Server 2008R2 and SQL Server 2012.
    Then go to a online book store and find a good training book for your first SQL Server exam and use it as a guide on what to study.
    In addition to paid physical classes there are a variety of online classes available, if you need additional help.
    See if you have any local SQL Server user groups in your area you can attend.
  • Options
    hi davmac1,

appreciate your reply.. but from the direction of navision developer where would you advise i should start focusing on more..?
    for the downloading of sql2008r3, is it available 'free'?
    if i take download from my company sql cd into my company laptop, can i practice it without connecting to any server?
    (similar to local native navision, fin.exe)
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The Developer's Edition is not free, but it is relatively inexpensive. Around $50 US.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options