Nav 2013 License question

rico1931rico1931 Member Posts: 295
edited 2015-05-01 in NAV Three Tier
Hi Everyone,

Question. We are currently/have been paying for software/annual insurance for Nav 2009 for quit some years now. We have been under the assumption that paying this fee would guarantee us any future releases of Nav like Nav 2013. We have successfully downloaded Nav 2013 from customer source but quickly realized that we need another license to run Nav 2013. We have contacted our partners to please provide us with a license so we can test out all the new features before any kind of commitment to the new software to make sure it's what we want to use moving forward ( from an IT standpoint we are super excited \:D/ :mrgreen: ) We are also in the process of purchasing more "seats" for Nav 2009 because business is growing.

Come to just find out, we are not allowed to get the Nav 2013 license until we are committed to use the new software... WHAT?!?!?! We haven't even tested it out yet! Kinda reminds me of a chicken and egg... which comes first? Also come to find out, If we do commit to the new Nav 2013 we are not allowed to purchase additional seats for Nav 2009! again a WHAT??!?!!??!!? what if we need one more seat...

So my question to everyone here... is my partner correct in stating the facts above? I haven't been able to find anything on the Microsoft website. Also if so, WTF Microsoft... where can I go to Bi**h and say how dumb this process is.

Please! I hope someone can come and tell me I got it all wrong [-o<
-rico1931

Answers

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    You can use the demo-license, which works for the Cronus company, to test NAV 2013.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • rico1931rico1931 Member Posts: 295
    You can use the demo-license, which works for the Cronus company, to test NAV 2013.

Thanks Luc Van Dyck but we wanted to put our data in it to test it out so we can make sure it'll work in our environment.

Just bothers me that we essentially paid for the software already and we "own it" but can't get it yet due to technicalities?

-rico
    -rico1931
    logically this doesn't make sense.... We aren't that large of a company but what if a company with thousands of seats want to upgrade... how would they do this overnight? it would take months of set up to accomplish it before they "flipped the switch" and microsoft is telling me that they wouldn't be allowed to purchase more seats in their old Nav because they've "committed" to Nav 2013?

Does not compute :-k :roll: [-X
    -rico1931
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    For previous versions it was Always possible to upgrade the license and use it on an old client. Does this no longer work?

I'm not sure if it's officially allowed but to test with your own data you can use the partner license. Should be safe if the partner uploads it, since you cannot download it.

To test with your own data you need to run the upgrade toolkit anyway, and this also requires a partners license.

In short, you cannot upgrade without your partner.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You partner have possibility to request evaluation license for you. This license is e.g. limited to 3 months or something like that, thereare some features inthe license, which could be configured. Many partners do not know about this possibility.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thanks you two.. I will talk to our partner and inform them of the information we learned. If they come back with some BS.. rest assure I will blast the persons name all over the web as a scammer :^o
    -rico1931
  • ichladilichladil Member Posts: 68
    I have been through the same questions recently. I wanted "full" license for the customer that pays maintenance. My current understanding based on some discussions/reading is:

1) You have to have new license for NAV2013 that is different and incompatible with NAV2009 due to the incompatibility between licensing models.
    2) Once you request NAV2013 license as a customer your current NAV2009 license should be valid for another 6 months or so but it should not be possible to further amend this license. Basically you will turn it useless unless you are sure that you will upgrade within those few months.

I wasn't aware about the evaluation license and I will check that option. Anyway using the partner license to go through proper evaluation/upgrade seems to be almost only option left unless evaluation licenses really help.

Igor
    Thanks Ichladil,

I still haven't heard from our partners yet. Only 930am here... so once I hear from them I will let everyone know if he was able to get us the evaluation license.

I just find it weird that Microsoft would render the prev license "useless" ... like what if you are in the middle of transition (that usually takes months) and you need to add one more seat to the current platform.. what would a company do?!?!
    -rico1931
  • Rob_HansenRob_Hansen Member Posts: 296
    We are a NAV partner and have a customer in the exact same scenario - we were told once we generate a NAV 2013 license for them, there is no going back. This is the first I've heard of an evaluation license as well, so please update this thread if that approach works out. When we presented this scenario to Microsoft, they did not tell us anything about an evaluation license.
    rdhansen wrote:
    We are a NAV partner and have a customer in the exact same scenario - we were told once we generate a NAV 2013 license for them, there is no going back. This is the first I've heard of an evaluation license as well, so please update this thread if that approach works out. When we presented this scenario to Microsoft, they did not tell us anything about an evaluation license.

Hi Rdhansen,

That's just nuts that Microsoft would do this to NAV users. Forcing them to upgrade without testing the system with their own data... what if it doesn't work out for them and their users? there is no turning back then...

so crazy.. lol... but I will def get back to everyone. Partner got back to us and said it's the first he heard of it too and will look into it for us.

idk after your comment Rdhansen... I'm not too hopeful that we'll get the answer we are looking for.. :cry: [-o<
    -rico1931
    For what I know, you will just get an extra line in your license file like this:
    2,110 Navision Version 3.xx                              1         
             2,120 Navision Version 4.0                               1         
             2,130 Navision Version 5.0                               1         
             2,140 Navision 2009                                      1

It allows you to use all Navision versions in the list of your license.

If this is not the case anymore, than Microsoft changes something and it is new, and then I am curious too.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Partners now get 2 licenses. 1 for 2013 and another for older versions.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    bbrown wrote:
    Partners now get 2 licenses. 1 for 2013 and another for older versions.

But how about customers that are currently on 2009 and wish to upgrade to 2013? Do we get two licenses as well?
    -rico1931
    I don't know how this is handled with customer licenses. That would be a question for your NAV partner.
    bbrown wrote:
    I don't know how this is handled with customer licenses. That would be a question for your NAV partner.

lol I did ask them... they said if we upgraded our NAV 2009 license would be locked and couldn't add more users after we committed to upgrading. But I got them checking into it more for me. Hopefully they can go to Microsoft and ask them for the full details on how to upgrade.
    -rico1931
    So we got a response from our partner and this is what they said

"a formal order we need to place to convert your 2009 license to a 2013 license. And once you do that, you would not be able to add users or objects to your existing 2009 license."

This absolutely DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. I seriously just want to talk to Microsoft myself and ask them how is this even fair?!?! I don't want to test NAV 2013 with some CROUNUS BS data. I want my data, my modification, my license ( that I've paid for) to be used and tested.

I'm so furious right now. Can any other partner please confirm this with Microsoft....

this just seems like a ploy to get the partners in here for another 100-200 hrs of "implementation" and "analysis".
    -rico1931
    Hi everyone,

Just called Microsoft Directly through the Partner number here in the U.S (30min on hold lol) and this is what they just told me.

There IS a form on the partner website called "Global Request Test Evaluation License" which will grant a customer a license to test and try out NAV 2013. This license WILL NOT in any way change your current license, but it does restrict you on what you can and can not do in NAV 2013. Hey that's better than the light user license or CROUNUS license.

so on that note.. time to contact my partner and ask if he even tried to request the info for me or do I have to keep doing their job for them... any partners out there looking for another customer? Might be looking for a new one soon.

Right now I give our partner 5 out of 5 :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
    -rico1931
  • Rob_HansenRob_Hansen Member Posts: 296
    Would the test/evaluation license provide access to your custom range objects? I'll be interested to hear how this works out, as we could look at doing the same thing for our customer in the same situation.
    Some things to point out here.

1. To test your data in NAV2013, you will have to run the Upgrade Toolkit. There is no way you can do this as an end user.

2. To run the upgrade toolkit your customizations need to be brought forward to NAV2013

3. Once you have achieved this you have basically paid for the upgrade process anyway

4. The reason you cannot purchase seats in NAV2009 after the real upgrade is because the pricing has changed

5. If you purchase extra seats in NAV2013 you can still use them in NAV2009

6. You need to determine if seats are cheaper or more expensive for you in NAV2013

7. NAV2013 is a 1000% better version than NAV2009. It is the best Navision version ever, so there is no reason not to want to upgrade.

Have fun! :mrgreen:
    Alright folks.. solution.. get your partner to submit the form above. Not sure about custom stuff but here is what our partner stated. The form is usually used to bring in new prospects to perform "proof of concept" (well sir we are new prospects to NAV 2013 :P) but it's more than the light user license and Cronus license lets you do.

End thread \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
    -rico1931
    rdhansen wrote:
    Would the test/evaluation license provide access to your custom range objects? I'll be interested to hear how this works out, as we could look at doing the same thing for our customer in the same situation.

I'll be sure to let you know once we get the license from our partner. They just told me they submitted the document to Microsoft after being approved by their PEM. :P :P :P :P
    -rico1931
  • Dave_CintronDave_Cintron Member Posts: 189
    I searched for "Global Request Test Evaluation License" and nothing comes up on PartnerSource. Does anyone have a link? :-k
    Dave Cintron
    Dynamics West
    http://www.dynamicswest.com
    I searched for "Global Request Test Evaluation License" and nothing comes up on PartnerSource. Does anyone have a link? :-k

Hi Dave,

Our partner had a hard time finding it as well. They ended up calling Microsoft to ask where it is.. sorry wish I could be more help.
    -rico1931
  • saurabhabhsaurabhabh Member Posts: 17
    @rico any update ? on whether u were able to use your custom range objects with the license "Global Request Test Evaluation License". Please give some update as i am facing the same problem.
  • Dave_CintronDave_Cintron Member Posts: 189
    The reason VARs have stated that you cannot run 2009 on a 2013 license is that Microsoft has stated this explicitly. Are these statements not true?

1. The license key issued for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 and Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 will not work with prior versions of the product.

2. The new licensing model is incompatible with previous versions of the products because the security layer was redesigned to accommodate two distinct concurrent user types.

3. Customers running a functionality discontinued by Microsoft in any version prior to and including Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 are informed that an upgrade will result in a loss of such functionality which will be unavailable through the Perpetual license key.

4. Customers doing a Transition Upgrade to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 will continue to have access to their prior version license keys after the Transition Upgrade is completed. However, customers will not be able to add users and/or modules to the prior version(s).
    Dave Cintron
    Dynamics West
    http://www.dynamicswest.com
  • I think this is the place on partnersource:

https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource ... ncepts.htm
  • saurabhabhsaurabhabh Member Posts: 17
    @dewinter , thanks for the link . I would like to know if i can use the "Global Test and Evaluation License Key" to import my custom objects (Nav Objects that i have modified and those i have added in Nav 2009) and check if they are compiled correctly in Nav 2013 and if not i could i make make the required changes using this lic.
  • edudiazedudiaz Member Posts: 39
    Folks, any new updates? I am having the same issue. We want to upgrade but we are reluctant to commit to the 180 days window. Has anyone been able to upgrade their database to 2013 on their own without a partner license?
    edudiaz wrote:
    ...Has anyone been able to upgrade their database to 2013 on their own without a partner license?

The Upgrade Toolkit objects are in a "Partner Exclusive" number range. You can't run them without a partner license.
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry about not posting the update but yes we were able to get a temporary "trial" license... so we were able to check out the functions and ability of the new nav without changing our current license. Sorry but we didn't try moving custom codeunits or anything... we just wanted to check it out without committing since we are the end customer and not the partner.
    -rico1931