Users! ARGH!

CharlehCharleh Member Posts: 44
edited 2005-06-23 in General Chat
How come no matter how much you tell users to 'take these steps ... or your new software/modifications/program wont work', they don't do it?

They just call you up saying 'it doesn't work'
'Did you do what I said?'
'No'
* me hangs up phone

I had someone call me once saying 'my phone isn't working'!!!!!

I've had people call me up saying 'my computer isn't working' after an office move...it turns out they hadn't pressed the ON switch after we'd moved their equipment..! THEIR COMPUTER WAS TURNED OFF!£!£! 10 minutes later someone from the same desk calls me up and says they have the same problem...!!£%$!£""£

I've had someone who had a network socket under their desk, who constantly ran his chair wheels into it and kicked it while he was spinning on his chair... and then wondered why his network connection wasn't working!

So all general users take note! Use your common sense before you phone the IT department...they don't need the extra stress!
Charleh

Comments

• janpieterjanpieter Member Posts: 298
    Maybe it helps when you send an invoice to the customer explicitly specifying the amount that cost them for their stupidity.

I think that will help stop them making calls without trying to solve the problem themself. :mrgreen: .

But then again, they are your customer. You make a living out of them [-X
    In a world without Borders or Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
  • PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
    I'd rather have one call to many, then that some user is doing something stupid because he or she is afraid to ask..

However, not noticing the computer has an on switch would be high on my stupidity list...
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    no users = no business
    no business = no job
    no job = hungry

I like to eat, so I am happy to have users with questions, any type of questions. Just as I think 'what a stupid question', I ask one myself in a different field. Those questions may sound stupid to you, but in their frame of reference may be perfectly valid questions.
  • ShenpenShenpen Member Posts: 386
    The problem is whether you are able to to have a contract with the users to pay on a per-time basis. Usually we are cannot.

Do It Yourself is they key. Standard code might work - your code surely works.