Options

NAV on MAC Os

anjanprakashanjanprakash Member Posts: 5
edited 2013-02-18 in NAV Three Tier
Hi there,

I went through few discussions on this forum for my query below but was unable to find a solution.

I am a Navision Consultant and a client of mine is holding Apple notebooks with MAC OS for all Sr management employees, I am unable to connect to the Navision server thro Virtual OS for Windows but i can connect via remote desktop connection.

My issue here is the Mac users will be in-transit mostly and wants to connect to NAV server from MAC Os via VPN, Kindly suggest me the options available and also relevant links pertaining to the same..

P.S-
Implemented Version is R2

Thanks a ton,
Anjan

Answers

• Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Have a look at VMware Fusion, http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html , to run Windows programs on a Mac.
    Or use NAV 2013 which provides a web client interface so people can use NAV through their web browser (with some limited functionality that is).
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    amazanamazan Member Posts: 17
    Have a look at VMware Fusion, http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html , to run Windows programs on a Mac.
    Or use NAV 2013 which provides a web client interface so people can use NAV through their web browser (with some limited functionality that is).

:thumbsup:

... or try Parallels
    http://www.parallels.com/
  • Options
    OldNavDogOldNavDog Member Posts: 88
    Hi there,

I went through few discussions on this forum for my query below but was unable to find a solution.

I am a Navision Consultant and a client of mine is holding Apple notebooks with MAC OS for all Sr management employees, I am unable to connect to the Navision server thro Virtual OS for Windows but i can connect via remote desktop connection.

My issue here is the Mac users will be in-transit mostly and wants to connect to NAV server from MAC Os via VPN, Kindly suggest me the options available and also relevant links pertaining to the same..

P.S-
    Implemented Version is R2

Thanks a ton,
    Anjan

The Microsoft OS X RDC Client is actually quite nice. I would recommend that with a corporate Windows Server running Terminal Services with NAV Client installed, over trying to get a VPN and VMWare Fusion/Parallels Desktop playing nice together. That's just asking for trouble.

That way, they can also use an RDC client "app" for iOS, too (there are several. I like "VNC Remoter"), and then they can use their iPad/iPhone as well.

As for the NAV Web Client, even though it looks gorgeous, and works quite well on Safari and Firefox (both on OS X and iOS), there are too many restrictions and other "gotchas" for it to be considered seriously for now. Hopefully, that will change...

Same with Anveo. It works very well on iOS, but is FAR too time-intensive to implement anything more than a VERY simple application.

I have been a Mac user since 1984, a Windows user since 1991, and a NAV Developer since 1997. And this is how I'd do it.

This will be the path of least tears for both you and your client, trust me! I would agree with using Virtualization on the Macs wholeheartedly IF they were desktops; but over a VPN, maybe not.

And besides, you already have it working over RDC, right? :)
    Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want. --Anon.
  • Options
    anjanprakashanjanprakash Member Posts: 5
    Dear Friends,

Sorry for the delayed reply and thanks for your extended support.

I fixed this requirement and my client is happy.

I was able to take Remote Desktop Connection but the Apple notebook takes the I-OS resolution which was way far to view the Windows server desktop . So finally The VMware Fusion 5 resolved most of the issues, I was able to install and connect both RTC and Classic from client notebook and also configured for VPN via VMware-5.

Once again thanks for your advice experts..

regards,
    Anjan