Options

NAV 2013 limited user table write

kiwilambkiwilamb Member Posts: 18
edited 2013-04-18 in NAV Three Tier
Hi there

With NAV 2013 the limited user license says it restricts the user to write to three table objects, there are some system tables which don't count towards the three tables.
Does anyone know how these three tables are restricted or where you associate these tables with the user?
Or is it simply through security therefore based on an honesty system?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    BardurKnudsenBardurKnudsen Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 137
    In NAV2013 you set your users up as usual, but only granting the "limited user" write access to three tables + any of the included by default. In NAV2013 this is based on trust, but starting from next version, the license terms will be enforced by the system.
    Bardur Knudsen
    Microsoft - Dynamics NAV
  • Options
    ayhan06ayhan06 Member Posts: 210
    hi,
    in september 2012 version of dynamics erp perpetual licensing guide, the list of default allowed tables are introduced. you can download it from customersource of partnersource.
  • Options
    kiwilambkiwilamb Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    andreas68andreas68 Member Posts: 1
    :-k is this access limited as direct access, or it could be also an indirect access ? If I want to use the webclient to create sales order, which tables do i need ? sales header + sales line +... series no. ?

Andrea
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    I know that in the latest release of NAV Easy Security, there's a tool specifically to address this..
    http://mergetool.com/products/easysecurityhistory.html

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    ChinmoyChinmoy Member Posts: 359
    I have been in touch with Microsoft, some of the other partners, and have also searched the forums, but it seems that there is no clear and straight forward answer to the questions raised about Limited User licensing. We have to quote some prospects and are about to go in with some Full and some Limited licenses. The Limited Users will be raising quotations and making orders. They would also do some Contact creations, Interactions, etc. Typically they will use the Marketing modules. I hope our decision to go with Limited user licenses (additional tables taken are Sales Header, Sales Line and No. Series Line) will not back fire... :) If it does, we are in big trouble... but since we see no other option, we have to take our chances I guess.

Chn
  • Options
    Rob_HansenRob_Hansen Member Posts: 296
    The limited user licensing has never made any sense to me. A 3 table limit (outside of those allowed ones) seems arbitrary and not functionality-based. Just enabling a user to create sales quotes or orders could go over the limit depending on related tables being updated. I think it's safe to say, though, that if you will have users creating quotes or orders as well as updating a couple master records (customers and contacts), you'll be pretty clearly over the 3 table limit. Again, I think it's an arbitrary number with the implications half-thought out. We're generally quoting limited users for read-only users or users that will ONLY update a couple tables (customer, vendor, etc.), but as soon as the users get into any functional areas (creating sales or purchase documents or anything transactional) we're assuming they'll need full licenses. I don't want to have the fun conversation later with our prospects/clients that would be necessary otherwise. "Well, we THOUGHT you'd be okay with the 3 table limit, but it turns out you're updating 4 tables...so you need to pay $2,400 extra per user license now to upgrade those to full ones." Then again, some partners that lowball to land projects will close more details by "assuming" the cheap license will be fine early on, and then tackling that additional cost later once the client is fully committed to the implementation.
  • Options
    Rob_HansenRob_Hansen Member Posts: 296
    I'm ranting now, but this has always been a hot topic for me. This is an area where Microsoft has priced NAV out of the market for a lot of projects. We've sold a few deals where clients built their own applications outside of NAV, and fed in (through web services we set up) to update a handful of tables (maybe 5 or 10). In the past, they paid around $200 per named light user (give or take, depending on user counts). A recent NAV 2009 project has 250 of those users. So, the price was approx. $50K for those licenses. Now, in NAV 2013, they'd need Limited User licenses at $600 each. Yes, they're concurrent now, so they can potentially get by with fewer...but this client is in professional services and they have points (when time entry is due) where the majority of their users are on the system trying to get their time in. So...let's say they hit a peak of 175 users at those times (could be 200, but let's say 175). Their $50K license cost in NAV 2009 is now 175 x $600 = $105,000. Ouch. We would have had to quote a $55K higher software cost on NAV 2013. It was a hard enough sell on NAV 2009. Now (even with NAV 2013 being a fantastic product and all) we would never land it.

I do love that we have an option to get truly limited users into the RTC for $600 each as opposed to $3K. I wish, though, that Microsoft had kept the named light user option available for users that would use NAV data from outside of the RTC. It would give us the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    rdhansen wrote:
    I'm ranting now, but this has always been a hot topic for me. This is an area where Microsoft has priced NAV out of the market for a lot of projects. We've sold a few deals where clients built their own applications outside of NAV, and fed in (through web services we set up) to update a handful of tables (maybe 5 or 10). In the past, they paid around $200 per named light user (give or take, depending on user counts). A recent NAV 2009 project has 250 of those users. So, the price was approx. $50K for those licenses. Now, in NAV 2013, they'd need Limited User licenses at $600 each. Yes, they're concurrent now, so they can potentially get by with fewer...but this client is in professional services and they have points (when time entry is due) where the majority of their users are on the system trying to get their time in. So...let's say they hit a peak of 175 users at those times (could be 200, but let's say 175). Their $50K license cost in NAV 2009 is now 175 x $600 = $105,000. Ouch. We would have had to quote a $55K higher software cost on NAV 2013. It was a hard enough sell on NAV 2009. Now (even with NAV 2013 being a fantastic product and all) we would never land it.

I do love that we have an option to get truly limited users into the RTC for $600 each as opposed to $3K. I wish, though, that Microsoft had kept the named light user option available for users that would use NAV data from outside of the RTC. It would give us the best of both worlds.

Look at this from Microsoft's point of view (or any other vendor): They need to make the same R&D investments to deliver and support that $200 license or that $600 license. But it takes the sale of 3 times as many $200 licenses to recover that investment. They probably decided that the $$$ don't work for them at $200. Usually why any company raises the price of a product.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.