2009 R2 Service Pack

Dave_CintronDave_Cintron Member Posts: 189
edited 2013-07-04 in NAV Three Tier
Does anyone know if there is such a thing coming (to sum up the 90 or so hotfixes)? [-o<
Dave Cintron
Dynamics West
http://www.dynamicswest.com

Comments

• lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Not sure. In a response to one of our service requests an escalation engineer said: "There will still be further platform updates for NAV2009 but of course the closer we get to NAV2013, the more restrictive development will be to fix NAV2009."
    Regarding the application I have no clue.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • fitolfitol Member Posts: 46
    Just use the latest hotfix, it includes fixes from previous hotfixes.
  • Dave_CintronDave_Cintron Member Posts: 189
    Please, if I wanted to use the hotfix I would use the hotfix.

I am specifically asking if or when there is a NAV 2009 R2 Service Pack scheduled for release.
    Allow the Microsoft NAV development team members who monitor this forum to answer.
    Dave Cintron
    Dynamics West
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Please, if I wanted to use the hotfix I would use the hotfix.

I am specifically asking if or when there is a NAV 2009 R2 Service Pack scheduled for release.
    Allow the Microsoft NAV development team members who monitor this forum to answer.

Wrong place to ask that question. E-mail Microsoft support team to get a firm answer.

My guess is don't hold your breath. They're more likely to repelase NAV2013 SP1.
    I did get an answer, no service pack is currently planned.
    Dave Cintron
    Dynamics West
  • TvisTvis Member Posts: 70
    fitol wrote:
    Just use the latest hotfix, it includes fixes from previous hotfixes.

Are you saying that we can simply apply the latest hotfix and it will contain all the previous hotfixes - since when is this the case?
    If you read the Microsoft Support page for "Overview of Released Platform Hotfixes for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 and Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2" you will find the following notes:

Special note for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2
    All hotfixes for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 up to and including build 31671 are rolled up into Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2. Hotfix builds 31695 - 32029 are included in build 32074.

Special note for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1

In order to install hotfixes with build 32074 and higher, customers who have Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 with a build below 32074 installed, must first perform one of the following steps:

Install hotfix 2496107 – Platform hotfix resource files for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1.

For more information about the files that need to be installed and how to install the files, see KB 2496107

Perform a solution upgrade to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2

For more information about how to perform a solution upgrade from Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2, see Install and Upgrade Instructions for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2
    There are no prerequisites for customers who have Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2 installed.
    Dave Cintron
    Dynamics West
    well, i don't know what you are reading out of that?

As far as i know we always had to apply one hotfix after another - which is a pain.

What i am reading above (and quoted) made me wonder if this was somehow changed for NAV 2009 R2?

If that is the case we wouldn't need an update 1 or 2 (like we got for 5.0 SP1). But I think this is a typical point of confusion.

To make it crystal clear:
    If i start out with NAV 2009 R2 what would i have to do to get to it to the newest build?

a. apply 90+ hotfixes per hand

or

b. install the latest hotfix (which should supposedly contain all the other hotfixes)
  • mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    For the dll and executables the latest hotfix contain all previous ones. Haven't seen a big fob update...
    i am with you on that regarding executables ,but the problem is that some of the components for instance odbc files are not always contained in all hotfixes, so in my opinion it would make sense if microsoft created an update 1 for NAV 2009 R2 like they did for 5.0 sp1...

Or are you simply applying the latest hotfix like build 33793 and then fishing out stuff from the older ones if you for instance use the outlook integration?
  • Peter_Wibeck_[MSFT]Peter_Wibeck_[MSFT] Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 78
    The lest hotfixe for the platform (executable and dll) does contain all previous hotfixes.

It's different story when it comes to application hotfixes.
    “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”

Peter Wibeck
    Software Development Engineer in Test
    Dynamics NAV Server and Installer team
    http://blog.wibeck.org/
  • mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    This is really annoying as I still don't always get the correct latest fob + executables

On this page https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersourc ... erview.htm
    Overview of Released Platform Hotfixes for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 and Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2
    Last Modified 4-6-2013

I requested a hotfix for the highest KB ID: 2851921. After download an unpacking this, I have updated the original 2009 DVD files with these new ones. I think this is the correct way..

On this page https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersourc ... erview.htm
    Overview of Released Application Hotfixes for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 and Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2
    Last Modified 29-4-2013

But I didn't found any "rollup" with a fob.

So my conclusion is "search for the customers problem and update only some source code as described in a hotfix". This is still correct?
  • TimSimmondsTimSimmonds Member Posts: 47
    But I didn't found any "rollup" with a fob.

So my conclusion is "search for the customers problem and update only some source code as described in a hotfix". This is still correct?

I've found this too... looking for a solution relating to the Suggest Vendor Payments report (r393), I have found application hotfixes detailed on the MS site but they simply describe the code changes for each individual hotfix, ie. there doesn't appear to be a fob containing all combined fixes.

Can anybody confirm that this is correct, and we can only make changes to objects manually. It's nice to import an object with the correct versioning infomation.

cheers, Tim
  • lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Importing a .fob just like that will not apply for all as many will have their customization in the objects involved. And do not forget the localizations that may differ around the world.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • TimSimmondsTimSimmonds Member Posts: 47
    lvanvugt wrote:
    Importing a .fob just like that will not apply for all as many will have their customization in the objects involved. And do not forget the localizations that may differ around the world.

Sorry, yes i understand that. I meant it was nice to maintain the versioning of the object by comparing the latest standard object (containing all hotfixes). I would of course always merge the changes with any local customisation. I just hoped MS would supply a text file or .fob file of the object containing the hotfix, but I suppose again that would get complicated given any localisations you mention.

Cheers Tim