NAV SQL slow over WAN

sebsidsebsid Member Posts: 27
We are an NAV partner. We have our datacenter in another city. We are connected to the datacenter via vpn tunnel so we're in the same domain etc. We are running SQL 2008 R2 in a cluster solution.

We have a 100/100 connection to the datacenter that's actually working at about 70/40 to the datacenter. Our ping is approx 17ms.

If we run the nav 2009 r2 sql classic client on our computer, connect to the database and open a table that has a little bit more than 100 columns and around 30 rows it takes around 30-40 seconds before it's completely opened.
If I connect via RDP to a server in the same datacenter and do the same thing it takes 1-2 seconds.

If i run client monitor on my local nav client i see that some queries take around 200-400 ms.

And the broadband connection isn't overloaded or anything i've tested this beeing the only one connected and it's the same result.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Could it have anything to do with the SQL server setup?
Is there anything that we can do or do we have to run through rdp in order to get passed the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Sebastian

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Navision classic client can't be run through a WAN like this, you need to use RDP or Citrix.
    David Singleton
  • sebsidsebsid Member Posts: 27
    You mean that it can but we shouldn't because it's inevitable to get the problems with response time etc that we get, right?

We have tried using citrix and it works fine as long as you work in it as a regular user but when we want to upload a fob it starts to disconnect, reconnect, disconnect, reconnect and so on until it finally stops working or in same rare cases starts working again. Which makes it difficult for our developers to work with. Anyone else seen this problem with citrix ?
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    sebsid wrote:
    You mean that it can but we shouldn't because it's inevitable to get the problems with response time etc that we get, right?

Obviously anything is possible. You can connect over a dial up connection of course, but it wont be nice.

The issue by the way is not so much the speed of that client, the issue is the blocking you are causing to other users. Navision sends lot and lots of small packets over the network, so even having a fast network wont help too much, though it may seem that "your" session is fine, you will be causing a lot of blocks that will slow everything else down. The RTC is completely different concept, where all the many small packets go from the Middle tier to SQL, and this give them the chance to optimize the data transferred to the RTC. Even then its not optimum, because they still allow code on Pages.

17ms is just too slow to make it work.
    David Singleton
  • sebsidsebsid Member Posts: 27
    Ok, thank you for your answers.

RTC could be a solution, if it was possible to run the object manager, but it's not so that's not an option in this case.

So RDP it is!