Sug. on how to use excel macros to retrieve data from NAV?

myopmyop Member Posts: 2
Hi everybody

I'm pretty new on this forum, so I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

I have a challenge I hope someone here can give me some input to solve. :)

I am currently working on a pretty big excel file, where I need to import monthly data from Navision. Untill now this has been done manually, but I thought that maybe some of the actions could be automated with the help of vba-programming.

My own programming skills are not very strong, but I do have a very good understanding of Excel and a lot of patience :wink:

So my questions are as follows:
1. Is it possible to create a connection between Excel and Navision?
2. If yes, is it possible to automate retrieval of data from Navision to Excel?
3. If, yes - does anyone have any suggestions how to do it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Kind regards

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I assume that the standard "Export form to excel" is not enough for what you need. So...

The simple way would be to use the Excel table and functions that are standard in Navision. Again these are limited in what you can do, so might not meet your requirements. Take a look at report 29, this is a perfect example of how its done, basically just copy this report and modify it for your requirements. If Excel Buffer is not enough, then if its just an issue of basic formatting and simple SUM formulas, then its easy to add a few fields and just be creative to expand the Excel Buffer functionality.

But if that if not enough, then you need to start from scratch and create your own functionality. SO create a simple program in C/SIDE to create an excel sheet and add values to it (Start by creating the automation variable, and obviously copy most of the code from the excel buffer table). Then to get creative, go into excel and use the macro recorder to create the spread sheet you need, and then copy the macro into Navision and just translate it into C/SIDE. The functions are quite obvious and easy to convert.
    David Singleton