Setup issue: Families and subfamilies of Items

poppinspoppins Member Posts: 647
Hi everyone,

I am customising Nav 2009 for one of our clients, it is the first time I do that and I am a little bit confused.

For this client, the items are grouped by families(for example and subfamilies, and I don't know how to do that in Nav, I can't decide wether it is related to the posting groups or to the item itself (item category code and product group code, these two fields are in the item card, usually I ignore them but now....)...

Any suggestions???How shall I proceed???

Comments

• poppinspoppins Member Posts: 647
    May be I wasn't clear enough, here is an example:
    Family: Hair products
    Subfamilies: shampoo, cream, spray...
  • ufukufuk Member Posts: 514
    Item Category Code and Product Group Code are usually used for assigning default posting groups and as grouping tags for filtering reports, list etc.

If you require these groups for analysis I recommend you to use dimensions. (you can use both and create dimension upon validation of category and product groups)
    Ufuk Asci
    Pargesoft
    I am not sure I understood you very well...
    You're saying that the families will be categories in Nav and the subfamilies will be product groups, isn't it????
  • ufukufuk Member Posts: 514
    Yes and also consider using dimensions same with this hierarchy.
    Ufuk Asci
    Pargesoft
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    poppins wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I am customising Nav 2009 for one of our clients, it is the first time I do that and I am a little bit confused.

For this client, the items are grouped by families(for example and subfamilies, and I don't know how to do that in Nav, I can't decide wether it is related to the posting groups or to the item itself (item category code and product group code, these two fields are in the item card, usually I ignore them but now....)...

Any suggestions???How shall I proceed???

Yes from what little you have posted here, Categories and Groups generally are the best option. It depends also of course on the reporting you need.
    David Singleton
    Thank you guys :D
  • slmaluwaslmaluwa Member Posts: 366
    As adviced by the others above, using the combination of item card fields and dimension will be useful.
    Just to share my recent experience:
    A requirement was identified in one new implementation to have five categories (including subcategories) of the items (total number of items in the company is more than 11,000 hardware tools and accessories SKUs with four locations).

We used Item Category Code, Product Group Code, two dimensions right away. We also added a new field in item card. Since all reporting/analysis/BI needs depended on these we had to take this part.

This implementation is around 9 months old now and didn't have any issues nor require any modifications, at least, with regard to the classifications.
    "A bove maiore discit arare minor"-"From the old ox, the young one learns to plow."
    slmaluwa wrote:
    As adviced by the others above, using the combination of item card fields and dimension will be useful.
    Just to share my recent experience:
    A requirement was identified in one new implementation to have five categories (including subcategories) of the items (total number of items in the company is more than 11,000 hardware tools and accessories SKUs with four locations).

We used Item Category Code, Product Group Code, two dimensions right away. We also added a new field in item card. Since all reporting/analysis/BI needs depended on these we had to take this part.

This implementation is around 9 months old now and didn't have any issues nor require any modifications, at least, with regard to the classifications.

Thanks for sharing :)