Developer toolkit conflict filtering

Cem_KaraerCem_Karaer Member Posts: 281
Hello,

Is there any way in the DTK to filter out conflicts resulting, say, CaptionML or ConstValueML ect. If it is not possible in the DTK environment, are there any workarounds manipulating the underlying database? Especially in merge scenarios, we must focus on the critical development to be merged, but messy caption conflicts take much time to check out.
Cem Karaer @ Pargesoft
Dynamics NAV Developer since 2005

Comments

• KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Hi,

You cannot filter these out the multilingual elements with the DTK, what you can do is remove all language packs from the databases before generating the export text files. But the downside is that you will have to reload the language packs after the merge. You might have to re-enter the translations for the custom text/captions/error messages.

I prefer to leave the multilingual elements in, because it is my responsibility as a programmer that I merge the customers database correctly and completely, even if it takes more effort on my side. The customer has paid for it so they are entitled to it.

Why are you using the DTK? It is not known for its ease of use. I prefer to use Beyond Compare to merge my objects, it is easier and faster. I can do the merge manually with a text comparison tool faster then I can check all the merged elements in the DTK.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
  • Cem_KaraerCem_Karaer Member Posts: 281
    Hello,

Beyond compare doesn't provide much help when it comes to merging captions. I have an add-on based on the W1 having ENU and DEU captions defined on the standard tables, and the same table with ENU and TR captions (the localized version). While merging those three languages, beyond compare is as helpful as a plain text editor.

Here are some non-sense questions:
    1. Why is DTK such a user-unfriendly application?
    2. Why is there not a single robust alternative to it? (I can personally pay for it even much :)
    3. Is there a single successful merge project completely relying on DTK?
    4. Why does it becomes more and more difficult to set up a running DTK environment with newest releases?
    5. Why does it have to use NAV tables?
    6. Why does it have to use C/FRONT?
    7. Why does it not have a simple way to merge merely just one single object?
    8. Why is it so slow?
    Cem Karaer @ Pargesoft
    9. Why can't it merge optionstrings and optioncaptions?
    10. Why can't it merge function parameters?
    Cem Karaer @ Pargesoft
  • dansdans Member Posts: 148
    11. Why do you expect you will get the answer if you ask those questions here ?
    12. Despite all those disadvantages, why do you still want to use DTK ?

Anyway, check Mergetool.
    Microsoft Certified IT Professional for Microsoft Dynamics NAV

Just a happy frood who knows where his towel is
    dans wrote:
    11. Why do you expect you will get the answer if you ask those questions here ?
    12. Despite all those disadvantages, why do you still want to use DTK ?

Anyway, check Mergetool.

Thanks for help.
    Cem Karaer @ Pargesoft
  • KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    cemkaraer wrote:
    Hello,

Beyond compare doesn't provide much help when it comes to merging captions. I have an add-on based on the W1 having ENU and DEU captions defined on the standard tables, and the same table with ENU and TR captions (the localized version). While merging those three languages, beyond compare is as helpful as a plain text editor.

Here are some non-sense questions:
    1. Why is DTK such a user-unfriendly application?
    2. Why is there not a single robust alternative to it? (I can personally pay for it even much :)
    3. Is there a single successful merge project completely relying on DTK?
    4. Why does it becomes more and more difficult to set up a running DTK environment with newest releases?
    5. Why does it have to use NAV tables?
    6. Why does it have to use C/FRONT?
    7. Why does it not have a simple way to merge merely just one single object?
    8. Why is it so slow?
    9. Why can't it merge optionstrings and optioncaptions?
    10. Why can't it merge function parameters?

I know Beyond Compare will show every difference in the multilingual elements. But it is way more then a text editor, I have not seen Notepad indicating a difference ever!

We stopped using the DTK for the merge a long time ago, simply because it is not up to the task. We found that the text comparison tool worked way better.

Answers to your questions:
    1. I don't know? Ask Microsoft.
    2. Try the Mergetool : http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=408
    3. I don't know, we never did.
    4. Because it only supports the "old" native objects, I am not sure if it even can load the new text files without issues, Also Microsoft stopped supporting it entirely.
    5. Because it is build on the NAV database to update NAV?
    6. Because it uses NAV tables?
    7. I think that you can right click on the object in the 4th column and select a single remerge. But if you only have to merge one object, use a text comparison tool.
    8. I don't know, Ask Microsoft....
    9. Never had a problem with the Option strings and Option Captions with Beyond compare.
    10. Never had a problem with function parameters with Beyond Compare.....

I do not know why you are asking these questions here on Mibuso, these should be directed to Microsoft.
    I only use the DTK for the Where Used function and found it dropping the ball there too....

Maybe you have found the niche in the market place and you could write a one click automatic mergetool for NAV?

Regards,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
    Here is the reason why I asked those questions:

I wanted to be sure before exclaiming

DON'T EVER USE DTK FOR NAV MERGING !!!

Am I right?
    Cem Karaer @ Pargesoft