Options

NAV 2013 and Style Sheet Tools

MikyMiky Member Posts: 4
edited 2013-12-03 in NAV Three Tier
Dear Navisioners,

The version 2 of the Style Sheet Tool doesn't work with NAV 2013 (Beta).
Is there a new version ? A workaround ?

Thanks for your answers.

Comments

• Options
    _Alik__Alik_ Member Posts: 9
    I need the Style Sheets Tools for NAV 2013. Anybody knows about it?
  • Options
    GhostfaceGhostface Member Posts: 3
    Same question here...

It would be great if someone could provide are Info on this topic :wink:
  • Options
    clauslclausl Member Posts: 455
    Style Sheet Tool was created by an Escalation Engineer at Microsoft, and not by the NAV product team.

So if you explain why you need this tool for NAV 2013, "we" might be able to convince the NAV product team to take ownership of the Style Sheet Tool, or suggest workarounds for us.

/Claus Lundstrøm
    Claus Lundstrøm | MVP | Senior Product Manager | Continia.com
    I'm blogging here:http://mibuso.com/blogs/clausl and used to blog here: http://blogs.msdn.com/nav
    I'm also offering RDLC Report Training, ping me if you are interested. Thanks to the 700 NAV developers that have now already been at my training. You know you can always call if you have any RDLC report issues :-)
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    Sounds like internal politics.
  • Options
    clauslclausl Member Posts: 455
    True, I will just keep quite and wait for somebody who knows when we can expect StyleSheetTool for NAV 2013 to answer.

/Claus Lundstrøm
    Claus Lundstrøm | MVP | Senior Product Manager | Continia.com
    I'm blogging here:http://mibuso.com/blogs/clausl and used to blog here: http://blogs.msdn.com/nav
    I'm also offering RDLC Report Training, ping me if you are interested. Thanks to the 700 NAV developers that have now already been at my training. You know you can always call if you have any RDLC report issues :-)
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I did succeed in getting help from Microsoft for it one with NAV 2009 and Word 2010.
    It is a wonderful tool for producing beautifully formatted Word documents.
    Claus - if you can convince the development team to take it over, it would be wonderful.
    Reasons why it would be a great addition to the standard offering:
    Allows users to create Word templates for a variety of correspondence;
    Tool for convincing companies to standardize on and keep up to date with Microsoft Office (lets not forget the Big Daddy of the division NAV is included in).
  • Options
    RosenornRosenorn Member Posts: 1
    As the co-inventor of the Style Sheet Tool (- together with the mentioned Escalation Engineer), I can only agree that it's needed for NAV 2013.

My understanding is it was cut because they didn't see it as important enough - the only way that can change is by enough people in the channel request it.

/Michael
  • Options
    BardurKnudsenBardurKnudsen Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 137
    As you might know, the 'Send to Word', 'Send to Excel' etc., that was introduced in NAV 5.0, is based on a technique where C/SIDE rips all the data displayed on a form, packs it into an XML document and sends it to codeunit 1 together with the ID of the form. Codeunit 1 then adds some extra information (e.g. Company name, today's date) that are not part of normal forms, and then selects a stylesheet based on the form ID, performs the transformation and returns the finished XML document back to C/SIDE.
    Now; the Style Sheet Tool is a tool that can further enrich the XML document with data relevant for the form in question, and in addition, can help create the style sheet to use the extra information.

In the RTC client, there is no roundtrip to codeunit 1 for enriching data, so the stylesheet Tool would be of no use, and hence there is no reason for updating the Tool.

However, I would like to know what the real need is: Is it to create any arbitrary Word document for any arbitrary data entity, or is it limited to customers and vendors? Can you use the Word mailmerge that is part of the marketing module (Contacts)? Or is there a need for adding customer specific information, such as outstanding invoices, etc. to be included in the mail? Any good examples?
    Bardur Knudsen
    Microsoft - Dynamics NAV
  • Options
    SnoomenSnoomen Member Posts: 1
    Hi Bardur,

Thanks for your reply. The NAV Style Sheet Tool is a very handy and powerfull tool. The standard functionality in the CRM module is not sufficient. An example would be the Sales Quote. When the Quote is recorded in NAV the NAV users can export it to Word and add data from the Item Table withour programming. Also it is easy to add text and photo's to make the Sales Quote more convincing. We have quit some customers that are using it and it blocks are upgrade projects at the moment.

So yes, we need the tool! :D

If you have more questions, let me know.
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I have used it to provide the detail for a user formatted word document using custom tables.
    I could definitely use it more if it becomes a supported product in NAV 2013 - however you do it.
    The important functionality from my perspective is to give the users control over generating the Word document (their skill set), then add the fields, then provide it as a function from the corresponding NAV page that makes sense to the user.
    If we could get it to work in batch mode too from NAV, that would be even better.
  • Options
    JasminkaTJasminkaT Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 34
    Style sheet tool does work with RTC as it actually doesn¨t enrich the datafile but builds it from the scratch (out of the tables and Fields specified in the tool setup card). The only data the tool needs from a form/page is current record(s).

The tool is, as you know, unsupported by Product group. It was released by an Escalation engineer and is maintained on demand (and on have-ressources) basis, by support group. We don't have a timeframe for the official release (by original Author), but it is being upgraded to 2013 by support group and should be released in not too long. Contact support for the tool (2013) if you don't see it released by the end of the march.
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    JasminkaT wrote:
    We don't have a timeframe for the official release (by original Author), but it is being upgraded to 2013 by support group and should be released in not too long. Contact support for the tool (2013) if you don't see it released by the end of the march.
    That's great news =D>
    Thx for sharing.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    Daniel_ComptonDaniel_Compton Member Posts: 3
    Hi JasminaK

Is there any update on the status of Style Sheet Tools? If they are not fully ready for release, is there a beta version we can use? We need to create a NAV 2013 Style Sheet this week if possible.

Thanks, Daniel.
  • Options
    Per_NielsenPer_Nielsen Member Posts: 1
    Hi JasminaK,

Any news about the style sheet Tool for NAV 2013. It's needed here too :-)

In advance thanks

best regards
    Per Nielsen / Elbek & Vejrup
  • Options
    ben5000ben5000 Member Posts: 110
    I confirm this would be nice to support this tool for further releases :)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Member Posts: 57
    As other people says here in the forum: we need the tool realy, because it's very helpful for cusctomizing the style Sheets (also for customers who wants to build or customize their own style Sheets)
    Many thanks, Roger
  • Options
    dave_cdave_c Member Posts: 46
    We've upgraded it to work in 2013 and have had a customer using it since February. We've integrated it into one of our addons, but are in the process of renumbering it and will be blogging about it when we are done at http://www.dynamics-consultants.co.uk/blog/

Contact us if you need a copy in the mean time, I'm not sure how we are planning to release it yet.
  • Options
    Style SHeet Tool for NAV 2013 is ready, please contact support channel to obtain it.

We're currently trying to release it on codeplex, but this process seems to take some time, please use support channel meanwhile.
  • Options
    Excellent news!

Can we distribute this through mibuso.com?
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    yomguyyomguy Member Posts: 1
    Hello, where can we find this tool? Mibuso? Partner source? Codeplex?
    Thank's.
  • Options
    schranzieschranzie Member Posts: 5
    Hi All!

Same question here! :)

Anybody knows where it can be currently obtained?

Many thanks for any answer!

Cheers!
  • Options
    I received a message from Jasminka today saying that the tool can be distributed through mibuso.com. As soon as I receive the last objects from her, I'll make it available in the download section.
  • Options
    schranzieschranzie Member Posts: 5
    You've made my day! :)

Thank you!
  • Options
    Style sheet tool is ready and to obtain it, please contact support.
    It will be released through all usual channels as well, and available for download here too.

/Jasminka
  • Options
    Ready for download on mibuso.com: Microsoft Dynamics NAV2013 Style Sheet Tool
  • Options
    MEMMEM Member Posts: 57
    Hi,

I would like to save my document created with style sheet directly on a path how can I setup this?

thank's in advance