Nav 2009 R2 SQL Windows login Slow

rlawsonrlawson Member Posts: 48
When using Nav209R2 classic client and connecting to a SQL 2008 R2 database via windows authentication it displays the smal box opening database/Data Base name and takes a couple of minutes to login and see the companies. The database size is only 9 gig. If I use database authentication is takes about 5 seconds to connect. The problem only occurs on PC's with a client installed locally and accesses the SQL on the same network. If the same user logs directly into the SQL server or Terminal server (through RDP) and accesses Navision using windows authentication it also only takes 5 seconds. I am taking the default parameters for the Desktop Icon (i.e. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Classic\finsql.exe"). It happens on both XP and Windows 7 - 32 or 64 bit PCs.

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Ping the domain to see if all computers (those that work, and those that don't) get the same reply.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • rlawsonrlawson Member Posts: 48
    Pinging looks exactly the same between all computers. All reply within <1ms with no time outs. DNS or TCP do not seem to be the issue.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    do they all return the same IP when you ping the domain? I don't mean ping the SQL box. What I mean is "PING mydomain.com".
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Yea, I type in ping xxx.local (which is the domain name) on all servers and PCs and I get the same IP 172.31.0.5.
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    For me it looks like a kind of dns problems. What happens if you try with the ip instead of the servername?
    Thomas
    I already have the IP in for the server (i.e. 172.31.0.36). Any other ideas?
  • klavinklavin Member Posts: 117
    Are all of the machines in the same physical location - nothing across WAN? Are there issues with the NAV Server communicating to the Active Directory server - again, same physical location?
    -Lavin
    "Profanity is the one language all programmers know best."
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    are the response time for the ping the same?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    All of the PCs/servers of interest are at the same physical location. Moreover, if someone from outside the subnet RDP's into the terminal server they have no issue. All the ping times are <1ms as reported above and database authentication works fine. AD server, Nav server, terminal server, and PCs are all on the same subnet and ping <1 ms to everyone.
    try the ip address instead of name.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

See 4 post before for me trying the IP address instead of name. It does the same thing ... 2 minutes to get into Navision.
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    It looks like checking the active directory would take too long. To prove it could be interesting if you try to connect with ssms from a client to that sql server. If you have the same difference between windows login and db login I would say NAV is not the problem.
    Hope this helps
    Thomas
    You can also test with using ODBC connectoin using windows and see how long it takes. No need to install SSMS
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

I tested the ODBC connection with both windows and SQL database authentication.
    The database method connected right away while the windows came up with the following error:
    Microsoft SQL Server Login
    Connection failed:
    SQLSTATE 'Hy000'
    SQL Server Error: 0
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Cannot generate SSPI context
    You have probably bad SPN or duplicate ones on AD. It could be also rename of the PC. There is a lot of info on how to fix it.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

I checked for duplicate SPN and there are none. All of the SPNs look good. We did not rename any PCs. We did change from a workgroup to a domain but this is happening for all of the local PCs at random times. PC A will work today and not tomorrow while PC B will not work today and work tomorrow.
    Every PC automatically fixed itself - 3 seconds to get into Navision. I don't get the ODBC error any more either. The problem is - it will come back sometime. When it does, I will look more into the AD authentication.