Show and hide columns in a table

PonceCarrilloPonceCarrillo Member Posts: 5
Hello, Experts

I have the next question.

How I can save the configuration the user on show and hide columns in a table?

Scenario: The development area makes a modification to the system and the user loses its configuration to show and hide columns in that table, reason why the user has to re-select all columns and arrange again.

The version of the management system is Microsoft Dynamics NAV R2

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    This is not possible with the classic client.

Solved in the new Role Tailored Client.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    In reality, maybe there is a way (never really tried it because it costs a lot of work).

In the OnCloseForm (or OnQueryCloseForm) you need to save the XPOS,WIDHT,VISIBLE properties of ALL fields somewhere in a table connected to the current form and current user id.
    In the OnOpenForm, you have to get the XPOS,WIDHT,VISIBLE properties from that table.

The problem is that you need to write a lot of code for each column on the form and you need to do that for each form. And every time you add a field, you have to add code for that field.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• fifafifa Member Posts: 2
    My experience is that the difference between users wishes on what columns to see is not that much if any within the same business.
    So instead of focusing on this user, check what the users in general want to see and have those visible.
    You will learn that most of them if not all want the same columns visible ;-)

The result is that few users need to show/hide a couple of columns at the most which is not much work after modifications.
  • PonceCarrilloPonceCarrillo Member Posts: 5
    Yes, my problem is that my users organize their columns according to their process flow, for example: Print, Verify, Validate, etc... that is, each column is a step that visually indicates the process flow

I thought that my problem was more easy, =(, well, thank you for your comments =)
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    fifa wrote:
    My experience is that the difference between users wishes on what columns to see is not that much if any within the same business.
    So instead of focusing on this user, check what the users in general want to see and have those visible.
    You will learn that most of them if not all want the same columns visible ;-)

The result is that few users need to show/hide a couple of columns at the most which is not much work after modifications.

:thumbsup:

I 100% agree with this approach.

In cases where the column position and widths is an issue I sit with a core group of users to develop a layout that suits most users. You generally find that those with differences are just one or two columns that they can easily move around.
    David Singleton
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    kriki wrote:
    In reality, maybe there is a way (never really tried it because it costs a lot of work).

In the OnCloseForm (or OnQueryCloseForm) you need to save the XPOS,WIDHT,VISIBLE properties of ALL fields somewhere in a table connected to the current form and current user id.
    In the OnOpenForm, you have to get the XPOS,WIDHT,VISIBLE properties from that table.

The problem is that you need to write a lot of code for each column on the form and you need to do that for each form. And every time you add a field, you have to add code for that field.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

It's a lot of code and just not worth it for each form. I'm using it at a few customers where we have end users that really complain that we cannot put changes into production and they have to spend half an hour reorganising columns.

It did solve the "problem".