Same Zup file across different versions

Ravi_Prakash_GoyalRavi_Prakash_Goyal Member Posts: 72
Hi,

I have upgraded the database from 4.0 SP3 to NAV 2009 R2. Customer wants to use the 4.0 SP3 ZUP files with the newer version also i.e. with the upgraded database. Customer is only using Classic version of 2009 R2. Can we use the same files with 2009 R2? I searched the mibuso but could not find relevent for the same. Thanks.

Comments

• ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Hi Ravi
    Imo this is not possible because all objects have new versions and therefore the existing zup file is useless.
    Regards
    Thomas
  • Ravi_Prakash_GoyalRavi_Prakash_Goyal Member Posts: 72
    Thanks Thomas!

I think the version will not make any difference as long as the table structure or field no. in a table is same. Also, zup files generally stores the column layout settings in a form or report filter etc. So if the columns that has been altered in a form also exists in newer version, should not the same zup file can be used in newer version. Correct me if I am wrong.

Any other suggestions guys....
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Try it and you will see. It is best way to know... :-) Depends on how "much" you are changing the objects during the upgrade.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thanks Kamil!! I will try it.

We are just moving the customization on top of the standard 2009 R2 database during upgrade. So whatever change exists between 4SP3 customized db and 2009 R2 customized db would be there because of standard NAV newer version. In this case I hope zup file should work. I will try it. Thanks.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    If I remember well, the zup-file between NAV 4 and NAV 5 are not compatible.
    So using a NAV-4 zup in NAV 5 (or later) voids all settings in that zup-file.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Imho the zup entry for a given object gets void as soon as the object has another compile version.
    Kind
    Regards
    Thomas
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    I noticed that compiling does not void the zup-entry for that object, but changing the date-time of the object does.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

Thanks Kriki & Thomas!! You seems correct to me.

Here are the steps I follow:
    1. Open 4SP3 db
    2. Change column layout (make some columns visible/nonvisible) in Sales Order Lines
    3. Close database and save the zup file
    4. Open 2009R2 db
    5. It could not see changed setting that I saved in ZUP file

This suggests that 2009R2 does not carry zup file settings from 4SP3.

In order to check if 4SP3 carry 2009R2 changes, I did following steps in succession:

6. Change column layout in Sales Order Lines in 2009R2 different than in step 2
    7. Saved the ZUP file. Checked the date/time changed.
    8. Open 4SP3 db again
    9. It preserves the settings made in Step 2, not from Step 6
    10. Open 2009R2 db again
    11. It preserves the settings made in Step 6, not from Step 2

I am suspicious if same ZUP file saves the settings version wise. The reason being both 4SP3 and 2009R2 retained their own setting changes and did not overlap. I made sure that same zup file is being used for both the databases by checking the data/time modified.

Please point out if I miss any steps here and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again.
    In your test, the problem is somewhere else: you have tested on two different databases. ZUP settings are PER DATABASE. To test it correctly, you will need:

1) Make some settings on v4 DB
    2) Make DB backup
    3) Upgrade it to v2009
    4) See, if changes are persisted
    5) Make new changes
    6) Restore backup from point 2
    7) Open the DB with v4
    8) See, which changes you can see
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    And just one thing: e.g. settings regarding Last opened database in ZUP is persistent between versions, because if you open DB AAA in client v4, and you open v2009 client, it will try to upgrade your DB AAA... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.