How to void a check after payment journal line is deleted

kelseykong@hotmail.comkelseykong@hotmail.com Member Posts: 86
Dear Experts,

One user reported that the check status is shown as printed in check ledger entries window, but the payment journal line doesnt exist any more.

May I know how could the payment journal line got deleted when check is printed but not posted? In addition, in this case, how could the user void the check? I tested to void the check from check ledger entries window, but the system will not allow me to void the check if the status is not posted.

Thank you so much for your advice in advance.

Li

Answers

• aseigleaseigle Member Posts: 207
    Are you certain there isn't a filter applied, or perhaps the user is looking in a different batch?

When you try to delete a line from the Payment Journal after the check is printed, you get an error saying "Check Printed must be No ....." The only way you'd be able to see the behavior you described is if the payment journal was modified to allow the deletion, which doesn't seem like a very good idea.

Adam
  • Hi Adam

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

I just double checked all the batches, click the show all button, but did not find any filter applied.

This issue happens in the production company. I checked the testing environment that we prepared for our testing purposes, and found a similar situation when a check status is shown as printed, and is not assigned a bank ledger entry number, but doesnt exist in any batch.

Li
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Did the check the Status and make sure it's not already set to VOID?
  • Hi Alex

Yes, I did check the status of the check and it shown as "Printed". And no entry exists in Bank Account Ledger entries window.

I am also quite confused how could that happen.

Since there is no way to delete a payment journal line when the check is printed and posted, I tested to delete the journal batch, but was not allowed to process either.

Li
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    So in the "Check Ledger Entries" You have "Entry Status" showing "Printed".

And the check is not in any batch?

If you view the TABLE (81) Gen. Journal Line can you find the check line that way?

If the "Check Printed" field = YES then you can't delete the line.
  • Thanks a lot for your information.
    I just double checked the general journal lines, and could not find the lines for the "Printed" checks.

Although when testing, I got the same error when trying to delete a journal line with check status as printed, I believe there is some way to delete journal lines.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Perhaps a developers license right from the table. But who would do that and not say anything? :-k
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    kelseykong wrote:
    Thanks a lot for your information.
    I just double checked the general journal lines, and could not find the lines for the "Printed" checks.

Although when testing, I got the same error when trying to delete a journal line with check status as printed, I believe there is some way to delete journal lines.

Looks like the entry was deleted either by a developer or a process only report deleted the record without validation.

Nonetheless, you will need to get your partner on this.