Migrate from SQL auth. to Active Directory auth.

ghoolghool Member Posts: 3
We will use Navision 4.0 sp3, users created in SQL.

We want to use AD-integrated. Can I convert SQL-users to AD-users (for existing users)?

On the other hand, can enter a domain user with non-domain computer? that is, explicitly enter a domain login and password?

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    As far as I know there is no (automatic) way to convert the users from SQL-authentication to Window-authentication. It is something you will have to do manually.

If you open NAV using Windows-authentication, the login is used to go to the SQL Server. So you need to create that user in SQL server (and NAV-tables).

A trick you can use is this: If that user has a domain account but his computer is NOT in the domain, you can enter NAV anyway using this command:
    runas /netonly /user:TheDomain\TheUser "C:\....\finsql.exe NTAUTHENTICATION=1, NETTYPE=TCP, servername=ServerName, database=DBName, COMPANY=CompanyName, ID=C:\...\mibuso2009SP1.zup"

I did find a problem though: In C/AL I cannot use "USERID" against the "Windows Login" table because the field "ID" is NEVER filled up with the name but only with the SID-value.

The runas-command I am using on my portable and it works. I use it as follows:
    -I have a VM that is NOT in any domain. In that VM I have SQL Server. So I can use "Computername\Administrator" if I am inside the VM.
    -But I want to run NAV (native) on the iron that is in some domain. AND I want Windows-authentication. So what do I do? I use the runas-command to run the NAV client.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• ghoolghool Member Posts: 3
    Thank you!

And how i can do it manually?

thanks for runas /netonly (i dont know it)
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    Open both users and windows users.
    For each SQL user add a new windows users.
    Lookup the roles for the SQL user, select all, copy.
    Lookup the roles for the windows user, paste.
    Rinse Repeat for each user that you migrate.

Afterwards synchronise the logins.
    Check the menu's to see if the users can view them (classic, haven't managed menu's user rights for RTC, so I can't give you pointers there)
    If RTC, check the role centers.
    Delete the SQL users after users confirm they can login and do their work with the windows login.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Sog wrote:
    Afterwards synchronise the logins.
    If you use Standard Security Model, you don't need to do this.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!