Use dimension feature to link functional areas?

ben5000ben5000 Member Posts: 110
Hi experts,

This short question just to know if it's realistic to use dimensions in order to create a logical link between separated functional areas?
For example this would be used to track what has been purchased for a specific Job?

I think it would be a good fit to use dimensions to achieve this goal but don't know if in the reality it will work?

Thanks for sharing your experience on dimensions and the possibility they offer.

Regards,

Comments

• udayrmerudayrmer Member Posts: 171
    Yes sure you can use, and it is best & brilliant idea, and it is power of dimension.

Ya there would be some increased burden to users for entry, and make this dimension to Item as code mandatory.
    Uday Mer | MS Dynamics NAV Techno-Functional Consultant
  • faizguy84faizguy84 Member Posts: 52
    Yes, can be done. You can also make it mandatory with Item/Customer/Vendor or GL. Analysis can also be done on the same.

Ya but it increase burden, if you made it mandatory for Vendor/Customer, and you have to define dimension for Payment entries also.
    As Only purchase (Inventory) needed dimension wise, recommended only Item.
    Uday Mer | MS Dynamics NAV Techno-Functional Consultant
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Ben you should use Global Dimensions 1 and/or 2 to do this, as it will make tracking and reporting a lot easier later.
    David Singleton
  • faizguy84faizguy84 Member Posts: 52
    udayrmer wrote:
    Ya but it increase burden, if you made it mandatory for Vendor/Customer, and you have to define dimension for Payment entries also.
    As Only purchase (Inventory) needed dimension wise, recommended only Item.

Yup. I was making him aware about the possibility where the dimension can be made mandatory.
    Depending upon his requirement and business process, he can decide where it should be mandatory.

Wow didn't expect so many reactions in a such short period of time :D

Looks like dimension is a powerful and useful feature.

Thanks all for your advices I'll investigate dimensions further and try to find the best solution according to the requirements I received.