Options

Will a 2013 license give access to the 2009 Classic Client?

rocatisrocatis Member Posts: 163
edited 2012-06-29 in NAV Three Tier
Well, the subject says it all. After 2013 launches I suspect Microsoft will only issue new licenses to this version, preventing users from running the old, Classic Client if they should so desire.

Does anybody know if I'm right in thinking this?
Brian Rocatis
Senior NAV Developer
Elbek & Vejrup

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Licensing is not yet kown, I expect big changes. They will be released on WPC. All about this will by only speculations.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I think it would be impossible to dump the classic client in this way. There are many companies out there with multiple Navision installs, and when a new location needs to open, it will need to run the version of Navision that the company uses. Even today there are many companies that will go live on 4.00. And for various business reasons can't even upgrade to 5.00.

I have no idea what the plans are, but I can't see them simply abandoning that customer base.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    rocatisrocatis Member Posts: 163
    I'm probably just a grumpy old man, but in my experience Microsoft's decisions are not necessarily hampered by logic. At least not a kind of logic that normal, sane people can comprehend.

Take the discontinuation of forms in 2013: from a strictly logical perspective, it makes sense. But when considering that every single solution center on this planet have desperately developed myriads of tools in order to the address at least some of the shortcomings of the "development environment" (and those quotes are extremely deliberate), and that 99.9% of all those tools have been rendered absolutely unusable from one day to the next without providing any substitutions at all my head starts shaking so violently that I think it's gonna do a 360.

Why, oh why, did they not keep the forms but make them impossible to use if you're not using a developer license? What's the logic of stripping us of our tools of the trade and putting nothing instead? Who does that benefit?

Sorry, ranting...
    Brian Rocatis
    Senior NAV Developer
    Elbek & Vejrup
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Highly unlikely. They would piss off a lot of people that are using the older version of NAV and still paying the enhancement.

Isn't 5.0 still supported under the lifecycle?
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Highly unlikely. They would piss off a lot of people that are using the older version of NAV and still paying the enhancement.
    Yes exactly, customers would simply stop paying maintenance. That would be a lot of lost revenue.
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Isn't 5.0 still supported under the lifecycle?
    No that stopped a few months back. 5.00 is no longer supported.
    David Singleton