Developer Toolkit

nvermanverma Member Posts: 396
Hey yall,

I had a quick question. I am working on optimizing the Items tables in the database for one of our client (by removing unnecessary keys that are not in use anymore, changing some of the properties to make the code run faster, etc) using the Developers toolkit for NAV. I am not really sure how to go about doing this.

My manager told me I should use a stop watch to record the time that it would take to run a table without making any changes and then run it again with changes to properties and removing unnecessary keys. I am not really sure what my next step should be. I was able to set it up (please find the attached image). I tried looking up a tutorial that would give me step by step instructions to do this, but I wasnt able to find anything. If anyone can guide me as to how I can achieve this task, that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

[url=ttp://www2.zshare.ma/5qdx5isixg5x]ttp://www2.zshare.ma/5qdx5isixg5x[/url]

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Are you doing this for the sake of doing it - or is that client experiencing problems?

here's a good old read:

The Database Resource Kit consists of a number of tools and a manual. This manual
    contains guidelines and instructions on how to use the tools on both server options –
    Microsoft Business Solutions–Navision SQL Server Option and Navision Database
    Server.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwY098 ... UVDc1N5bW8

PS:
    nverma wrote:
    I had a quick question.
    nverma wrote:
    My manager told me I should use a stop watch to record the time

There's nothing quick about discussing about how to decide what is and is not necessary keys, or changing code to speed up the system. You should mention to your senior that you are just guessing when it comes to optimizing and hoping your finger is hitting the stopwatch :-k accurately. :-k
  • nvermanverma Member Posts: 396
    After doing research on how to optimize database, I found websites that said one of the ways is by upgrading the hardware and the other one is by making sure the keys that are not in use are deleted, and how changing few properties can make a load of difference....One of our client is planing to optimize there database, so we are doing this to show them the time it would take them to run a certain report or table or form now and compare it with the time it would take once we make changes to the database...
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    You haven't mentioned any problems they are having.

Are they having locks somewhere?
    Are they having slow form loads or slow posting?
    Are they hightly customized?
    There hardware setup? Number of users & how they are connecting.
    How are you determining on if it's a hardware or bad code issue?
    or if there is any issue at all. :-k
    Are they requesting this or do you guys want to do this to show they you can make a page open 2 seconds faster?
    have you search the forum already for "Performance" or "Optimize"?
    You don't nearly provide enough info to give any decent answer.
    nverma wrote:
    One of our client is planing to optimize there database
    How? By File->Database->Information->Tables->Optimize?
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    nverma wrote:
    ... we are doing this to show them the time it would take them to run a certain report or table or form now and compare it with the time it would take once we make changes to the database...

I think you need to revalue your expectations of what happens if you remove keys. Why would you expect a report to run faster if you remove a key?
    David Singleton