Options

Automation memory issue

daansdaans Member Posts: 21
edited 2012-06-21 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

We've developped an automation that allows us to generate resource dll's for .net programs using nav. The automation works fine when executed on any of our company's computers, but when it's executed by a customer, it doesn't work.

The automation calls resgen.exe and al.exe (Windows SDK) from the command line:
resgen.exe "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Server\MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer$NVT66TEST\users\GROUPINFRA\silfverj\TEMP\{D9ACD717-7A41-4A38-858E-DCDCD03F6467}\fi\RouteManager.fi.resx" "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Server\MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer$NVT66TEST\users\GROUPINFRA\silfverj\TEMP\{D9ACD717-7A41-4A38-858E-DCDCD03F6467}\fi\NaviTransBL.NaviTransResources.RouteManager.fi.resources"

al.exe /c:fi /out:"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Server\MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer$NVT66TEST\users\GROUPINFRA\silfverj\TEMP\{D9ACD717-7A41-4A38-858E-DCDCD03F6467}\fi\NaviTransNBL.resources.dll" /embed:"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Server\MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer$NVT66TEST\users\GROUPINFRA\silfverj\TEMP\{D9ACD717-7A41-4A38-858E-DCDCD03F6467}\fi\NaviTransBL.NaviTransResources.RouteManager.fi.resources"

The second command (al.exe) causes issues on the customer's computer, it throws the following error:
ALINK: fatal error AL1004: Unexpected common language runtime initialization error -- 'Not enough storage is available to complete this operation. '

The strange thing is, when I execute the exact same command using the command prompt, there are no problems at all. I guess it's got something to do with executing the command from a Dynamics Nav Automation.

Does anyone have an idea what's causing this error?

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    May be there is not enough free space on some HDD...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    May be there is not enough free space on some HDD...

That's also what I thought, but the main hard drive has over 16GB of free space. I was wondering if NAV maybe has a max temp folder size or something...
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, it have max temp file size - 2GB (32bit limit). If you need big temp table or you are generating big report, it could hit this limit.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    Yes, it have max temp file size - 2GB (32bit limit). If you need big temp table or you are generating big report, it could hit this limit.

I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere near that limit. The file I'm trying to convert is only a couple of Kb in size. I also thought there might be an infinite loop or something in the code that caused the computer to run out of memory, but that also isn't the case.
  • Options
    I've managed to resolve the problem: it was caused by the service tier having insufficiënt rights (it was running under the "Network Service"-account).