NAV 2009 R2 upgrade- problem with Service module

havhav Member Posts: 299
Hi,
I have upgraded NAV 4 GB database to NAV 2009 R2 GB.
After the upgrade i noticed that in NAV 2009 R2 there is a separate Invoice Header and Line table for Service module.
Eg:- The Posted Service Invoice form uses the following tables
Sales Invoice Header changed to Service Invoice Header
Sales Invoice Line changed to Service Invoice Line
Although i have transferred the data using the upgrade toolkit as mentioned in the upgrade manual, all my posted service invoices are still lying in Sales Invoice Header & Line table whereas the Service Invioice Header & Line tables are empty. Also there is a boolean field called Service Mgt. Document in Sales Invoice Header table which was set to Yes in old db. whereas in the upgraded db. it is set to No.

Is this an upgrade toolkit problem?
I am not sure why the service posted invoices not transferred to the new tables.

The solution i think at the moment is to manually set the Service Mgt. Document field to Yes for all the posted service invoice in the Sales Invoice Header table and then run a dataport to export these data from Sales Invoice Header table and import it into Service Invoice Header table. Similarly for Sales Invoice Line and Service Invoice Line table.
Is there any other alternative?
Regards,
Hemant
MCTS (MB7-841 : NAV 2009 C/SIDE Solution Development)

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    If you have read the upgrade toolkit documentation, you surelly have read this:
    Upgrading Service Management

The Service Management upgrade is divided into two steps. In the first step, the
    upgrade tool scans the database and deletes irrelevant data.
    Version 3.7 and 4.0 Codeunit 104045 blanks the following fields:
    Table ID Table Name Field No. Field Name
    36 Sales Header 5900 Service Mgt. Document
    37 Sales Line 5900 Service Contract No.
    5901 Service Order No.
    5902 Service Item No.
    5903 Appl.-to Service Entry
    5904 Service Item Line No.
    5907 Serv. Price Adjmt. Gr. Code
    110 Sales Shipment Header 5900 Service Mgt. Document
    112 Sales Invoice Header 5900 Service Mgt. Document
    113 Sales Invoice Line 5900 Service Contract No.
    5901 Service

It is not transferng posted documents into new tables. It only clear the fields whcih are removed. No data transfer. If you want it, you need to do it yourself.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • havhav Member Posts: 299
    Thanks for your reply.
    I do have read the upgrade toolkit manual but i didn't realize that the toolkit does not transfer the data to new tables.
    I think we should suggest to Microsoft to update their toolkit to include transferring of data.

Anyway my concern is how to transfer the data.
    hav wrote:
    The solution i think at the moment is to manually set the Service Mgt. Document field to Yes for all the posted service invoice in the Sales Invoice Header table and then run a dataport to export these data from Sales Invoice Header table and import it into Service Invoice Header table. Similarly for Sales Invoice Line and Service Invoice Line table.

As suggested above, i should not set the Service Mgt. Document field back to Yes in the Sales Inoice header table since it has been cleared by the upgrade toolkit.
    Next i compare the design of Sales Invoice Header table with Service Invoice Header table and carry out mapping between the fields. Create a dataport to export data from Sales Invoice Header table and select only those fields that map with Service Invoice Header table.
    Then create a dataport to import data from above table to Service Invoice Header table and select only those fields that map with Sales Invoice Header table.
    Create similar dataport for Sales Invoice Line and Service Invoice Line
    Create similar dataport for header and line table for Cr. Memo

Run the dataport and do the data transfer.
    Right?
    If not, can you suggest any other alternative.

Regards,
    Hemant
    Regards,
    Hemant
    Sorry, this isout of my scope. Decision about this is on you. If you really need to transfer the documents, it is on you how you will do it. Because you will be responsible for it. From my point of view I do not see any reason why to transfer the documents from standard sales tables into service tables.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    hav wrote:
    From my point of view I do not see any reason why to transfer the documents from standard sales tables into service tables.
    The reason for transfer is to make it consistent with future Contract invoices that i will be posting in the new Service Contract form since they will get stored in new tables and not old tables.

Please clarify if i am wrong.
    Regards,
    Hemant
    I am not consultant on service module, but have the "missing" documents somehow effect to the new invoice calculation? If not, there is no reason to transfer them than "just to be consistent".
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    I need a second opinion or suggestion from others as well.
    Please advise.
    Regards,
    Hemant
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    1) analyze differences between sales invoices for service in NAV 4 and the new service invoices
    2) determine which new fields have to be populated and create spec
    3) if decision is to migrate, create test database, and hire developer to write codeunit (or report) to migrate the data.
    4) test results - when okay - run in live database
    Hi,
    I am unable to decide whether to do data transfer or not.
    If i compare the Form 5933 Sales Invoice (Service) in NAV 4.0 with Form 5933 Service Invoice in NAV 2009 R2 then it gives me below results:
    In NAV 4.0, the form uses Sales Header table with a filter for Document Type = Invoice and Service Mgt. Document = Yes
    In NAV 2009, the form users Service Header table with a filter for Document Type = Invoice only. There is no field like Service Mgt. Document.
    Now the data is already lying in Sales Header table of NAV 2009 but since it does not have Service Mgt. Document field, i am unable to filter on records that belongs to and should be transfered to Service Header table using this field.

Should the below work?
    1. Say i add the Service Mgt. Document field to Sales Header table in NAV 2009.
    2. Write a query in SQL to set this field to Yes by looking up the matching Sales Header table in NAV 4.0 which has this field value Yes.
    3. Write a codeunit/dataport/report to transfer records in Sales Header table of NAV 2009 having Service Mgt. document = yes to Service Header table of NAV 2009.
    4. Delete the records from Sales Header table of NAV 2009 which has Service Mgt. Document = Yes.
    5. Delete the Service Mgt. document field from Sales Header table of NAV 2009.

Please suggest.

Regards,
    Regards,
    Hemant