Returns/item charge/warehouse - Brain or logic failure?

JohnPJohnP Member Posts: 56
Maybe I'm having a brain fade (quite possible in my advancing years) but I seem to have found a problem with sales returns while exploring something for a customer.

For whatever reason, a customer shipment has to be returned. The shipment has an item line and an item charge line which is fully assigned to the item line.
OK, no problem, just create a sales return order and use the "get posted document lines to reverse" function to select both shipment lines and add them to the order. Easy.

However, suppose that the return is to a location that is under warehouse control and this requires a warehouse receipt.
OK, from the return order use "create whse. receipt". Note that because this is warehousing, it only has the item line on it, not the charge line.
Post the warehouse receipt - this creates a return receipt with both the item and charge lines, but only the item line has a quantity on it.
Therefore, we now have to post the return order itself in order to "receive" the item charge line - this creates a second return receipt.
Note that this is just a "receive" posting because it is up to someone else to generate the credit memo at a later stage.

Does anyone see where this is going yet?

Open a new sales credit memo and use the "get return receipt lines" function to find the two return receipts. Select them and add them to the credit memo.
You can't post the credit memo because the item charge has not been assigned. But you can't assign it to the item because they are on different return receipts and this is used to filter the item charge assignment form when you open it.

Oooppps!

I guess that either I'm missing something during the process or the warehouse receipt should also post the surcharge so they both appear on the same return receipt. Is that a parameter somewhere that I've missed?
BTW, doing a "receive and invoice" of the return order instead of just a "receive" works OK, but the two functions have to be kept separate for managerial reasons. Also, receiving to a non-warehouse controlled location is out because they don't want to have to post it into a controlled location later.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.

Cheers
John

Comments

• gerrykistlergerrykistler Member Posts: 149
    I haven't had time to test this but have you tried doing the Item Charge Assignment on the Return Order?
    Gerry Kistler
    KCP Consultores
  • JohnPJohnP Member Posts: 56
    Gerry - Yes, the item charge assignment was in place on the return order when I created and posted the receipt. Mind you, I've gone through this so many times that I might have forgotten to check it on one or two examples.

However, I think the answer might be brain fade due to old age: #-o
    From the credit memo, open the item charge assignment and then select "get return receipt lines" from the functions button. You can then select the other return receipt and bring it onto the item charge assignment form where you can then assign the charge. Yeah, that's intuitive isn't it? Not!

I guess it's the worlds way of telling you how much it hates you that you find an answer just after asking for help ... ](*,)
    Cheers
    John
  • gerrykistlergerrykistler Member Posts: 149
    I just ran through a test and came to the same conclusion you described. Old age has impacted both our brains. :)
    Gerry Kistler
    KCP Consultores
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    This has been an issue since WHM was first released in version 3.6.

I raised a simliar issue with Microsoft through their site (for the sales side), but their response is basically it's not something they're going to change.