problem with doc and docx in NAV 4.0 and Office 2007

DoomhammerDoomhammer Member Posts: 211
Hello.
Our customer has problem with sending word attachements from segment management. some of his customers, which are using older version of microsoft office (2000, XP, 2003) cannot open documents, which are sent from navision.

NAV is 4.0, client 4.0 SP3, Office 2007 with all servicepacks.

User creates word template in word 2007, default format for saving is set as old binary office format (doc). this template is imported to navision.
but after sending mail to recipients from segment, attachements are sent as word 2007 XML format, with extension DOC. and recipients with word 2003 and older are unable to open attachements.

is there any solution how to send documents from nav in old office binary format?
customer does not want to tell his customers to install office plugin which enables to open XML formats in old office.

thanks in advance.
Martin Bokůvka, AxiomProvis

Comments

• Frank1960Frank1960 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Add a function SaveAs2003 with parameter FileName.

The body should be something like:
    //ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="test.xls", _
    // FileFormat:=xlExcel8
    XlWrkBk.SaveAs(FileName,56);

Succes!

Regard,
    Frank
  • DoomhammerDoomhammer Member Posts: 211
    hello

automation server WordManagement, which is used in mail merge sending, does not allow to select file format
  • gerrykistlergerrykistler Member Posts: 149
    In CU 5054 the wrdDoc automation has a SaveAs2 method which includes a CompatabilityMode parameter. There is also a SetCompatibilityMode method and a DowngradeDocument.
    Gerry Kistler
    KCP Consultores
    thanks, I think, it helped.

i did this modification to CU 5054:
    //wrdDoc.SaveAs2000(FileName);
    txtFormat := 'WdFormatDoc';
    wrdDoc.SaveAs(FileName,txtFormat);

back to the trees :)

on my computer, my modification worked. but on computer, where user works with segments, error message appeared. it says, cannot use method SaveAs, unable to work with parameters. so I think, it does not know parameter WdFormatDoc
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I found it easier to email the link to the compatiability pack than to change our system.

Those still on 2003 & earlier are better off being able to handle the new formats than having everybody else jump thru hoops for them.

All it does it add more functionality & access to their system..& who wouldn't want that? & it's free.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... .aspx?id=3
    By installing the Compatibility Pack in addition to Microsoft Office 2000, Office XP, or Office 2003, you will be able to open, edit, and save files using the file formats in newer versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint . The Compatibility Pack can also be used in conjunction with the Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003, Excel Viewer 2003, and PowerPoint Viewer 2003 to view files saved in these new formats.
    I know it, I recommended it to our customer but he does not want to instruct his customers to install compatibility pack.
    Iľl try to tell it to them once again.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Understood,

But it can be mentioned in passing that the program they are using is 9 years old or older. And it would be beneficial to them to install the update. It would allow them to keep using their older programs for more years to come. and it's still free
    there is checkbox "Send Word Docs. as Attmt." on segment card - can I use it to send documents in e-mail body instead of send it as attachement?
    customer told me, that before same time, this checkbox worked, but it stopped working for some reason and we did not make any changes to CRM module in their NAV.