Options

Integration GoogleMaps into RTC, few questions

d3dekd3dek Member Posts: 6
edited 2012-06-04 in NAV Three Tier
Hi!

Hi I'm student and I will do my master's degree soon. My supervisor from university advised me to embed Google Maps into RTC. So my idea so far is sth like that:

1. Write small lib in c# that will encapsulate StaticMaps and other API's to help work with them in object oriented way(or use some library that exist).
2. Write add-in in WinForms or WPF to display and operate on maps.
3. Write some code in C/AL to deliver address data to add-in from tables like contacts, employees, clients etc.

As I said I'm student and I don't have any experience with NAV in real enterprise, so my questions are:

1. Is there sense to do this? Will people, who work with RTC need such think in real enterprise?
2. If yes for what it can be useful? Logistic, mobile devices maybe? Distance calculations? Any other ideas?
3. Can it be sold? Or at least published as open source so other can have some profit from my work.

What You think about that?

PS: Sorry for my English.

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    1. Freddy has blogged about this but using bing.
    2. Yes. address verification. What i think will definitely be useful is finding quickest route for multiple destinations. (traverling salesman problem). There are may companies that deliver their goods and if they can combine multiple orders in most efficient way to deliver, they would like to purchase a solution within nav instead of using 3rd party software.
    3. see above.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Thanks for your replay ara3n. It was very helpful and blogpost from Freddy too. Now when I see point in this I have much more motivation :) .
    What do you think about the way I want to accomplish this?
  • Options
    henrikmhenrikm Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 66
    There are many good usages for maps in the ERP field.
    e.g.: Find the customer closest to where I am right now?

You can use e.g. Mibuso, Codeplex or a blog to share your code (really depending on your business plan).

I think it sounds very exiting to write a thesis using NAV technology. Your three steps seems very reasonable to me. Is there a reasoning for using google maps vs. bing maps? Does it add some additional value? I think for a university thesis the business value should absolutely be part of it since you are integrating into an ERP product - not just the technical side.

/henrik
    “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”

Henrik Metzger, Software Development Engineer, Dynamics NAV
    MSFT
  • Options
    Thx for your answers guys!