Options

Multiple Dimension values in single general line

MammoMammo Member Posts: 107
edited 2012-07-15 in Navision Financials
Hi All,

Can any one help me how can I post a general journal line with multiple dimension value? Example I want to pay the office rent and distribute it half half to 2 different business unit dimension values.

Thanks & BR

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You need to do it by two lines, not one. Or there must be some module for that, not possible by standard without using more lines.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi,

Recurring Journals have allocations, that would allow the distribution of the amount to different dimension values.

with best regards

Jens
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, that's what is possible, and it look slike posting the office rent could be good candidate to use recurring journal... I forgot this one...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    jglathe wrote:
    Hi,

Recurring Journals have allocations, that would allow the distribution of the amount to different dimension values.

with best regards

Jens

Hi Jens,

Thanks for your reply. This amount allocation will allow me to allocate multiple dimension to credit side but I am still restricted to have only one dimnsion for the debit side. How can apply multiple dimension values to the debit amount as well?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Hi Mammo,

just had a go with a CRONUS database to find out... If you don't mind having a technical account, you can post debit and credit side in two lines. Place in account no. the technical account, and in the allocations the distribution to the dimension combination you want to have. There are some issues with posting this way:

1. The posting will become two transaction nos, which is not nice.
    2. You have the movement through the technical account, although it should be the same balance after the posting.
    3. Everything has to be entered mirror-wise, since your debit side will always be the technical account.

To get a simpler (better?) way of posting with allocations on both sides (and in one transaction) you would have to do some modifications, mostly using the allocation approach on both sides of an account. It's doable, I wouldn't recommend to do such a thing, though.

BTW: For what is this type of posting required? Splitting the amounts by line of business?

with best regards

Jens
  • Options
    jglathe wrote:
    BTW: For what is this type of posting required? Splitting the amounts by line of business?

with best regards

Jens

Hi,

Thank you again. Yes this is for splitting the amount to different cost center dimensions. Also one thing that we can not use Bank accounts as balance account type for amount allocation to two different dimension values, it is restricted to use only GL account any idea?

Kind Regards,
  • Options
    Hi Mammo,

the allocation function is only for G/L accounts in recurring journals. From what I understand, you want to combine the cost allocation with the posting of the payment in one go. That's not supported by standard NAV. This is no easy task to implement - and, for the accountant to do a reconciliation. For the bank reconciliation you want to see the whole amount, for the cost allocation you want to see the distributed amounts. The "normal" way to do this would be to post the allocation afterwards, on the closing of the period. To know what has to be allocated, it would be a good idea to use a "helper" cost center.
    Anyway, this would require several transactions or some serious modifications of the posting routines. Have you taken a look at Cost Accounting?

with best regards

Jens