Options

Why are column titles not shown on third table (RDLC report)

lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
edited 2012-06-12 in NAV Three Tier
Anybody usefull tips on the following RDLC issue.

I have these requirements (an abstract from the original requirements so it fits NAV standard):

1) I need to list all Sales Orders (dataitem 1)
2) with all its sales lines and (dataitem 2)
3) all its comment lines (dataitem 3)

It seems quite straight forward: I create a List data regin and dropped three Table regions, but I am blocked as I cannot get the colums titles of the comment lines shown. Here you can find the report that should comply with these requirements: REP88890.txt.

Droping requirement 2 shows everything OK and this is the report: REP88888.txt.

Dropping requirement 3 also shows everything OK. This is the report: REP88889.txt.

Notes
a) all three reports have a simple classic layout needed to define the dataset and also easy to use as reference print-out.
b) to be able to see comment lines (in CRONUS) on the reports 88889 and 88890, you'll need to create some of them.
Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
Never stop learning
Van Vugt's dynamiXs
Dutch Dynamics Community

Answers

• Options
    mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
    Hi Luc,

I am not able to add the report code here so sent the object to your mail..

Please try..
  • Options
    Thanx, Mohana. Did get it and will have a look.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    maybe i understood, it's very annoying.
    i took a short look @ your report, but i couldn't try it for a chain of bad luck (no time, new client, no license, no visual web developer etc...).
    I think the problem is about the dataset:
    when you link dataitems like you did (perfectly correct, there's no reason to do it in another way), nav stripes down the first two dataitems and after finishing with the sales lines, nav will go on with the comments (i don't exactly remember how is the dataset generated, but i'm sure you can check it by yourself in a blink of an eye :wink: ).
    the problem is that you do a "=First(fields!mycommentcaption.Value)"...and what is the value of the first occurrence of your comment line? a big blank, because the first line in the dataset is about sales header+sales line (your sales comment lables have not been fetched yet).
    Please confirm me that i'm correct. If so, i'll try to remember how did i solve it :)
    Just two dirty ideas:
    A. you can try with a dummy dataitem for saleslines with indent 0
    B.
    - create a record variable on comment lines
    - put textboxes in the sales header section in classic client and assign them the sourceexpression mycommenttable.fieldcaption(myfield)
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
    or c. simply "=Last(fields!mycommentcaption.Value)" :-k
  • Options
    or c. simply "=Last(fields!mycommentcaption.Value)" :-k
    i remember that i discarded this solution when the problem happened to me...if i'm correct, if you do the "Last" and you have another dataitem after the comment line with the same indentation, the value of the commentcaption is blank
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    edited 2012-06-01
    Belias wrote:
    i remember that i discarded this solution when the problem happened to me...if i'm correct, if you do the "Last" and you have another dataitem after the comment line with the same indentation, the value of the commentcaption is blank
    Indeed Mirko. It works perfect for as long as you do not add any next dataitem. That's why I posted this issue. To get a more sustainable solution. BTW: haven't had time yet to check the suggestions so far. Hopefully can do that today.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I am still curious about the design you have selected. I thing that best is to use table with grouping. One group is based on the document header, second on lines, third on the comments (I am not sure, are you printing header comments or line comments?). Thus not using more tables on same level.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Unless i didn't understand your post correctly, kine, with your solution, you're going to do:
    group1
    -group2
    --group3

in this case, your result will be
    sales header
    sales line
    comment
    comment
    sales line
    comment
    comment

althought luc probably wants
    sales header
    sales line
    sales line
    comment
    comment
    comment
    comment
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    Indeed Luc wants:
    sales header
    sales line
    sales line
    comment
    comment
    comment
    comment
    =P~
    I am working on the input I did get from you and also Steven Renders. Will get back soon (I hope :wink: )
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    lvanvugt wrote:
    I am working on the input I did get from you and also Steven Renders. Will get back soon (I hope :wink: )
    Only today I saw that Steven blogged about the solution he gave: Where are my captions?.
    It all works now. Thanx to you all.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community