No of RDP Sessions for NAV on Windows 2008 R2

slmaluwaslmaluwa Member Posts: 366
This may be more suitable in a Windows Server forum. But, I would like hear from your experience.

Is there a limit on the number of RDP sessions made to a Win2K8 R2 std server (provided with enough CPU/RAM) to be used for NAV classic clients?. Currently around 20 users access NAV on a Windows 2003 server.

The client wanted to bring in more than 75 users to the server to use NAV 5.0SP1 classic client.
"A bove maiore discit arare minor"-"From the old ox, the young one learns to plow."

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    There is no limit other than resources and licenses (Windows CALs).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • gerrykistlergerrykistler Member Posts: 149
    It is recommended you limit it to 10 to 15 users per CPU. You should look at the NAV/SQL Perormance Field Guide in the Citrix/Terminal Server Hardware Environment section for more detail on memory etc...

I found it with a simple google search:

http://books.google.com.co/books?id=Ice ... &q&f=false
    Gerry Kistler
    KCP Consultores
  • slmaluwaslmaluwa Member Posts: 366
    Thank you Kamil and gerrykistler

RDP CALs are in place. Will it be necessary to go for separate Windows and SQL CAL for the total number of users planning to access through RDP. If yes, I think "per core" SQL license will be cheap.

The RDP Server currently has two physical processor and 64GB RAM. It is a DELL R910. Depending on the load, our plan is to increase CPU and RAM. But, my worry is that whether it is good to support this idea. This also makes single point of failure.
    "A bove maiore discit arare minor"-"From the old ox, the young one learns to plow."
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Of course, you need correct SQL CALs for named users accessing the system. Same for Windows CALs - you need to follow rules for licensing each product.

Regarding the terminal server - of course, if you want to use it for all, you need to use some farm or cluster to prevent the problems when something fail. But our customers are using e.g. 3 servers in farm to distribute the workload and make it fail-safe.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Have you checked your memory limitations?

"win2k8 r2 standard has a max of 32gig. If you use the free non gui HyperV server you can bump up the ram."
    There is also a limit of 4 physical CPUs. Since server CPUs are typically multi-core, you should be in good shape.
    The advantage of a server farm besides load balancing is to avoid all your remotes going down the same time with no access until you bring up the one server.