Navision FIFO

finnbifinnbi Member Posts: 20
Anyone know that, can Navision handle FIFO in warehouse module?

Comments

• vijay_gvijay_g Member Posts: 884
    What do you mean by FIFO for warehouse? Could you be more clear about it?
  • finnbifinnbi Member Posts: 20
    Now what I try to do is, control the stock in FIFO manner. Oldest stock will ship out first, compare with new one.
  • gerrykistlergerrykistler Member Posts: 149
    Are you using directed put away and pick? Are you using Lot Tracked inventory with expiration dates including in the warehouse?
    If so then it really is a manual process without a modification. When looking up on the lot numbers from a pick, the soonest to expire will be listed first. Other than that you would need to make a modification or look for an add-on.
    Gerry Kistler
    KCP Consultores
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Can you define what you mean by "oldest stock"? As stated above, the system does support FEFO (first expiring - first out) but we shouldn't assume that is your intent. You could mean first received, or first produced, etc.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Are you using directed put away and pick? Are you using Lot Tracked inventory with expiration dates including in the warehouse?
    If so then it really is a manual process without a modification. When looking up on the lot numbers from a pick, the soonest to expire will be listed first. Other than that you would need to make a modification or look for an add-on.

Yeap, I set to directed put-away & pick, but I not using lot tracked inventory.
    bbrown wrote:
    Can you define what you mean by "oldest stock"? As stated above, the system does support FEFO (first expiring - first out) but we shouldn't assume that is your intent. You could mean first received, or first produced, etc.

The "oldest stock" i mean here is the stock which first received.
    Without using Lot Tracking then there is no link to the physical goods to the system. Even if you had a way to use FIFO in the warehouse there would be no way for the user to identify the physical stock to what the system used. An alternative would be to use Lot Tracking and make the receipt the lot. Otherwise I do not see the logic in what you are trying to do.
    Gerry Kistler
    KCP Consultores
    Without using Lot Tracking then there is no link to the physical goods to the system. Even if you had a way to use FIFO in the warehouse there would be no way for the user to identify the physical stock to what the system used. An alternative would be to use Lot Tracking and make the receipt the lot. Otherwise I do not see the logic in what you are trying to do.

Actually now I trying to use bin ranking to control FIFO of stock, but after I tested few transactions; this method is doesn't work. If use lot tracking, mean physical stock have to stick lot no. sticker, right?
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    You seem to be describing a need to manage stock rotation. First, don't expect the system to do everything for you. My sugegstion would be to leverage your bin naming sequence and ranking to control the order in which bins are picked. Then manage a stock rotation process to move older stock to the high priority pick bins. Internal Picks and Put-Away could help out here.

I don't see the need to lot numbers to accomplish stock rotation.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Bbrown is correct and even with using Directed Put Away and Pick with forward picking bins, you can never control the physical rotation of stock in the system. The best you can hope for is to assist with it but physically you can always have older items sitting in the bottom of a bin or the back of a shelf that never get moved to the forward picking bins. The only way outside of Lot Numbers to manage stock rotation is through good procedures and employees who follow them.
    Gerry Kistler
    KCP Consultores
    bbrown wrote:
    You seem to be describing a need to manage stock rotation. First, don't expect the system to do everything for you. My sugegstion would be to leverage your bin naming sequence and ranking to control the order in which bins are picked. Then manage a stock rotation process to move older stock to the high priority pick bins. Internal Picks and Put-Away could help out here.

I don't see the need to lot numbers to accomplish stock rotation.

Thanks for your reply "bbrown"

Ya..this is what I doing now.
    1.) Naming bin in sequence (by rack, by level, by bin no.). eg:A1-L1-1
    2.) Set bin ranking (first bin of lowest level, will set to highest ranking).

The problem is, whenever item in higher ranking bin is empty, store hand have to physically move older stock to the higher ranking bin; and system have to do internal movement too.

Base on the solution above, its will increase the miss locate problem and increase the work load.
    So I was try to find the solution to minimize the movement within warehouse, in order to minimize problem occur.