Options

Unexplainable RTC Report Message

Dave_CintronDave_Cintron Member Posts: 189
edited 2012-05-08 in NAV Three Tier
I am creating a VS layout for a customized check.
The check runs in Classic.
When run in RTC it crashes the client every time.
The only error message that can be found is in "About this page" in the Check Request Page, attached.
It refers to "DataItem6TableView". There is no "DataItem6".
The 6th data item is the Integer table, which does have a TableView set.

How can this be handled? ](*,)
Dave Cintron
Dynamics West
http://www.dynamicswest.com

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It looks like soeone changed the report sections for classic NAV and the RDLC layout was not changed. Check that.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    - I removed EVERY FIELD from the RDLC layout and it still gives the error.
    - The error comes before the report is even run.
    - Searching the text export of the report shows only the one dimensional dataset.
    - I even deleted the metadata and it still comes back with the error after recompile.

This must be a Microsoft bug.
    Dave Cintron
    Dynamics West
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Use the standard 3 part check and do your customization on the standard report. Forget trying to upgrade reports.
  • Options
    Certainly we could rewrite everything. However, I was hoping this would be a learning experience. We have overcome nearly every unanticipated change, undocumented feature, and unexpected problem with RTC report writing. This one makes no sense as the error refers to a variable tag that does not occur in the report. Either it's yet another undocumented message or another obnoxious bug.
    Dave Cintron
    Dynamics West
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Have you tried bulding the report in VS? This should show the error to. Usually you can double click on the error and it shows where the error is.

Have you looked at the code in the VS part of the report? Maybe the code still uses it.

Do you know where to find the code?
  • Options
    It is building the report in VS that leads to this error. The only code I am aware of is in "Report Properties" and is the standard "BlankIfZero", etc. Is there code somewhere else?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean about double clicking on the error. If you run the report the RTC client crashes. You can only see the message from the request page. Double clicking there has no effect. Checking the Event Log gives a stack trace whose verbose nature serves to only overwhelm me with useless information that refers to an anonymous value, "SourceExpression".

Service: MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer
    Type: System.ArgumentNullException
    Parameter name: SourceExpression
    StackTrace:
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavApplicationMethod.InvokeMethod(Object obj, String methodName, Object[] args)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.NSField.ActionField(NavConnection con)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.NSField.Action(NavConnection connection)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.NSService.<>c__DisplayClass1f.<ActionField>b__1e(Connection connection)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.NSService.ExecuteOperation[T](String operationName, ServiceOperation`1 operation, Connection connection, Boolean revertLanguageChanges, WindowsIdentity impersonationIdentity)
    Source: Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Ncl
    Type: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
    Message: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    StackTrace:
    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavApplicationMethod.InvokeMethod(Object obj, String methodName, Object[] args)
    Source: mscorlib
    Type: System.ArgumentNullException
    Parameter name: SourceExpression
    ParamName: SourceExpression
    StackTrace:
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavReport.ExecuteReportDataItem()
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavReport.LoopChildDataItems(NavReportDataItem dataItem)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavReport.ExecuteReportLoop(NavReportDataItem dataItem)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavReport.LoopChildDataItems(NavReportDataItem dataItem)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavReport.ExecuteReportLoop(NavReportDataItem dataItem)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavReport.LoopRootDataItems()
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavReport.ExecuteReport(Boolean displayResult)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavReport.RunReportInternal(NavRecord record, Boolean displayResult)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavReport.RunReport(Nullable`1 requestWindow, Nullable`1 systemPrinter, Boolean runReportModal, NavRecord record, IList`1 reportTextualFilters)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavReport.RunReport(Int32 reportId, Nullable`1 requestWindow, Nullable`1 systemPrinter, Boolean isRunningAsModal, NavRecord record, IList`1 textualFilters)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavReport.RunModal(Int32 reportId, Boolean requestWindow, Boolean systemPrinter, NavRecord record)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.BusinessApplication.Codeunit229.PrintCheck(INavRecordHandle newGenJnlLine)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.BusinessApplication.Codeunit229.OnInvoke(Int32 memberId, Object[] args)
    Dave Cintron
    Dynamics West
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Certainly we could rewrite everything. However, I was hoping this would be a learning experience. We have overcome nearly every unanticipated change, undocumented feature, and unexpected problem with RTC report writing. This one makes no sense as the error refers to a variable tag that does not occur in the report. Either it's yet another undocumented message or another obnoxious bug.

I've been down this road and I wish you good luck with that. :(

Everyone thinks tools for classic report upgrade to RTC report is essential. Based on my experience in upgrading, I strongly disagree.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Some errors like that are because you are using different build of classic and RTC. Check that.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Torben_Wind_Meyhoff[MSFT]Torben_Wind_Meyhoff[MSFT] Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 22
    Hi Dave
    DataItem6TableView refers to the filter control for the 7th dataitem on the request page. It is used to maintain the table view of that particular dataitem in relation to values typed in on the request page.

It is an internal construct which is defined in the internal code generated C# and metadata.
    Kamil could be right in that it is not the same version of finsql, service and RTC that is used.

If that is not the case, you are welcome to send the object to me and I will have a look and see if it is a bug in compiler or in object.

Best regards,
    Torben
    “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”