ODBC error when using VPN; any better workaround available?

lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
Does any one have a better workaround than a restart of my computer for the next?

Every once in a while I am a guest user on "foreign" corporate network. To connect to my own company's network I am using a VPN connection.
Once this VPN is setup and I am opening my NAV client (CC and RTC) to start working on one of my local database (running on a local SQL Server - so everything is on my own laptop) I get this error message:

The following ODBC error occurred:

Error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Login timeout expired
State ID: HYT00

The only way to solve the issue that I know of is restarting my laptop and open my NAV client before I setup the VPN connection. Any better way?
Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
Never stop learning
Van Vugt's dynamiXs
Dutch Dynamics Community

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    What VPN are you using.

I saw this happen in 5.00 I reported it at the time, but it was considered a Network issue, not a Navision issue. It's not just VPNs, it also can happen if you have certain internet connections using "Dial Up Adapter" (3G etc) or network connections to Virtual Machines etc.

I found that often restarting SQL will solve it also.
    David Singleton
  • lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Fast reply, David :thumbsup:

VPN client: Cisco AnyConnect.

Restart op SQL Server: to no avail (even after killing the VPN) :( (unless restart is more than just restarting the service)
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    lvanvugt wrote:
    Fast reply, David :thumbsup:

VPN client: Cisco AnyConnect.

Restart op SQL Server: to no avail (even after killing the VPN) :( (unless restart is more than just restarting the service)

yes with Cisco its more problematic, and not just Navision. It tries to control all network traffic.
    David Singleton
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Instead of using localhost or the name of your computer, did you try using 127.0.0.1?

Another trick: using a local account to log into SQL server (like mycomputer\myuser)
    and run NAV with runas /user: mycomputer\myuser "finsql.exe". I didn't try it with RTC yet.

PS: Depending on how you need the VPN. I have a VM in which I have the VPN if I need to connect to my company using VPN. This way, my physical computer does not lose any connection to the local network.
    PS2: you can also work in the other way: have a VM with your SQL server (I am using this one because if I need to change physical computer, I just have to copy the VM and have SQL server up and running in no time). In that VM (or another), you can install everything you need to work with your DB's.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!