Options

What does the "Search Name" field actually do?

yuppicideyuppicide Member Posts: 410
edited 2012-06-13 in Navision Attain
What does Search Name field actually do on a Customer Card?

I was noticing some of the Name and Search Name were not the same. I've been looking and whenever I change Name, the field Search Name also gets updated. I'm unsure what others are doing that it doesn't get updated.

Not that I'd go fix them all, there's a lot (unless you advise me to for some reason), but I was just curious that's all.

I don't know the scenerio, but for example let's say we entered a customer's name wrong so someone changed Name to read "Jones Contracting, LLC" but Search Name still reads "Jones Contracting".

I pulled up everyone on the Customer Quick Entry screen and copied it to Excel, put in a formula to compare both columns. There were probably 500 to 800 that did not match.. maybe more.. I didn't really pay attention to that as I made the file and deleted it.

Comments

• Options
    aseigleaseigle Member Posts: 207
    The Search Name field makes it easier to find customer's, as you can ignore the case. The Search Name defaults to be the Customer's Name, but they do not have to remain in sync. Once you break the "link," you would have to manually change the field back if you wanted them to be the same.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    The search name is just the uppercase of the name.

Now when you change the "Name" the "Search Name" will update to an uppercase version of the name.

But if you edit the "Search Name" the "Name" stays as is.

If you would like to match them up again it's an easy 1-2-3 report.

Create a report based on Customer.
    Add this code...& run
    OnAfterGetRecord()
    "Search Name" := UPPERCASE(Name);
    MODIFY;

Always ask first before changing - because someone might have did this for a reason 8)
  • Options
    faizguy84faizguy84 Member Posts: 52
    If you are uploading the customer through dataport, make sure the name field is validated in the dataport.

Regards,
    Faisal Bukhari
  • Options
    ChinmoyChinmoy Member Posts: 359
    If you are asking what is the use of Search Name field in NAV, it is used to search from a primary key field used on another object. There is a "AltSearchField" property on the primary key of the master tables. For example, if on the Sales Order >> Sell to Customer No. field you type a search name of a customer NAV will pick the right record the Customer table. Try this out yourself with putting a small 2 or 3 letter search name on a customer record and use this on the Sales Order form.

:)

Chn
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Chinmoy wrote:
    If you are asking what is the use of Search Name field in NAV, it is used to search from a primary key field used on another object. There is a "AltSearchField" property on the primary key of the master tables. For example, if on the Sales Order >> Sell to Customer No. field you type a search name of a customer NAV will pick the right record the Customer table. Try this out yourself with putting a small 2 or 3 letter search name on a customer record and use this on the Sales Order form.

:)

Chn

I'm not sure what "Search name" or "Sell-to Customer no" has anything to do with a primary key.
    You can change the alt-seearch property to look at a number of different fields.

In the past I've changed the Alt Search property of the item table to look at "UPC code", "No .2", "Description".

It Sets the Name Property of an alternative field used to perform lookups on the current field.
  • Options
    ChinmoyChinmoy Member Posts: 359
    Thanks for the info Savatage! I have never tried to use this property on fields other than the PK. So, it is good to know that the same technique works on other fields also.

Chn