Performance problems 2.65 10-15 sametime users

PatrikPatrik Member Posts: 13
edited 2005-03-02 in Navision Financials
I have a performance problem on my Navision server. I think it is related to my harware. I run the Native DB.

I run the server on a W2K IBM server with 4 disks running IBM:s raid 1E. 756 MB RAM and 2x1 Ghz processors.

I suspect that the bottleneck is the harddrives. How many disks would be optimal for my kind of system? (DB size 20 GB where 14 is allocated)

Is IBM raid 1E optimal?

I tried the microsoft support but they really was not interested in answering questions...

Appreciate any comments on this.

Patrik

Comments

• Christian_BuehlChristian_Buehl Member Posts: 145
    Hi Patrik,
    Raid1 (mirroring) is ok and the machine should work well (Yes it's not the fastest one, but should be ok and I would add some RAM to the server).

First check that there is no other service running on the same machine, so that the RAM can be used as much as possible by Navision.
    Try setting the parameters for the "CommitCache" (check the instructions on the product CD )

Another improvement can be done by using well designed keys. I speeded up a big reporting from running 4 hours into now running online (less than 5 seconds), by using the calcsum-statements instead of filtering with bad keys.

Hope this helps a bit
  • PatrikPatrik Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes my server i dedicated to Navision. Commit cache is ok. I guess I could try to add more RAM but it has never been fully allocated though.

When it comes to keys and indexing, can you speed up jobs such as invoicing in the same way as you can change the keys for a report?
  • Tommy_SchouTommy_Schou Member Posts: 117
    Patrik wrote:
    I have a performance problem on my Navision server. I think it is related to my harware. I run the Native DB.

I run the server on a W2K IBM server with 4 disks running IBM:s raid 1E. 756 MB RAM and 2x1 Ghz processors.

I suspect that the bottleneck is the harddrives. How many disks would be optimal for my kind of system? (DB size 20 GB where 14 is allocated)

Is IBM raid 1E optimal?

I tried the microsoft support but they really was not interested in answering questions...

Appreciate any comments on this.

Patrik

One thing that is very important for Navision when running a large DB is that you split the DB up onto a number of files. E.g. 4 files of 5GB each. Place each file on it's own physical disk. I don't remember the performance increase no.'s when going from 1 file to 2 files and from 2 to 4 but they ARE significant (if and only if they are each placed on it's own physical hard-drive). You may be able to find a whitepaper on it somewhere. :)

Using 4 disks to hold ONE DB File of 20gb will be much slower.
    Best regards
    Tommy