ADCS ?

megawavezmegawavez Member Posts: 133
Hi All, we are looking into integrating our manufacturing operation into navision. I'm currently looking at ADCS as the best way to let scanners talk real-time with Navision. Can anybody comment on their experience using ADCS? Are there perhaps better solutions out there? We have a custom manufacturing module which most likely will require custom screens written within ADCS. ADCS development looks a little cumbersome, but I haven't really seen anything better.

Thanks,
Mega

Comments

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    Web services are now the standard integration point for any third party software. Although ADCS works fine as a NAV warehousing module I wouldn't consider it for your purpose.
  • KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Hi,

I have written several custom ADCS transactions. It is pretty hard to get in to without any decent documentation.
    The biggest issue I had was figuring out the miniform screen controls, particularly the miniform reset to start a new transaction was frustrating at times.
    Once you have figured out the data flow and how to control the miniforms, it is pretty easy.
    You might run into issues with firewalls as it uses the VT100 emulation and most firewalls block all ICP/telnet communication.

We could not use the native transactions that are supplied with NAV.
    The transactions we needed were all based on lot controlled items and for production and shipping only, so we wrote all of them as custom transactions.

Also initially you might get some reluctance from the people who are suppose to use the scanners. They often see it as a "Big Brother is watching" issue.
    But in my experience they really start liking the scanners after a while, when it starts saving them time and making their job easier.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
  • megawavezmegawavez Member Posts: 133
    KYDutchie wrote:
    Hi,

I have written several custom ADCS transactions. It is pretty hard to get in to without any decent documentation.
    The biggest issue I had was figuring out the miniform screen controls, particularly the miniform reset to start a new transaction was frustrating at times.
    Once you have figured out the data flow and how to control the miniforms, it is pretty easy.
    You might run into issues with firewalls as it uses the VT100 emulation and most firewalls block all ICP/telnet communication.

We could not use the native transactions that are supplied with NAV.
    The transactions we needed were all based on lot controlled items and for production and shipping only, so we wrote all of them as custom transactions.

Also initially you might get some reluctance from the people who are suppose to use the scanners. They often see it as a "Big Brother is watching" issue.
    But in my experience they really start liking the scanners after a while, when it starts saving them time and making their job easier.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Willy

Hi Willie, thanks for the response. How does ADCS store transaction information? Let's say I have several screens that are part of one transaction, would I just create a transaction record and store results there? Also, I'm looking at the documentation - is it possible to list several records from a table on the screen at the same time, or is ADCS meant to only show one record at a time?

Thanks,
    Mega
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    It's rumored that ADCS will use webservices in future version of NAV, instead of VT100 plugin. So you're better off programming what you need using webservices.
    Alex Chow wrote:
    It's rumored that ADCS will use webservices in future version of NAV, instead of VT100 plugin. So you're better off programming what you need using webservices.

You can program a handheld to access navision using webservices?
  • KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Hi,

If you are on 2009SP1 or newer, then it is a way better solution to go with web services.
    The VT100 Plugin is not, let's say, the highest quality piece of software ever released.

We are actually planning at converting our transactions to a web service ourselves.
    Our customer might soon upgrade and we want to get them ready for the future.

If you still want answers on the other questions, let me know.

Regards,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
    KYDutchie wrote:
    Hi,

The VT100 Plugin is not, let's say, the highest quality piece of software ever released.

LOL, I was not exactly happy with implementing ADCS, but willing to do it.

We are currently on Nav5 and looking to upgrade to nav6 soon (classic). Will this upgrade make webservices available? How does one integrate scanners with webservices? Is there a toolkit I can work with?

Thanks !
    Mega