Options

Filter as you type functionality

smwanikismwaniki Member Posts: 3
Hi,
I need to implement a functionality to allow me serach for items by description field.
The functionality should work as follows:
- As i type characters into the search field, the items are automatically filtered as per the entered characters
-The functionality is similar to search-as-you-type only this time the records meeting the input charactors is filtered as you enter them
How can this be achived in Navision?

Regards

Comments

• Options
    vijay_gvijay_g Member Posts: 884
    Welcome to mibuso.

Your requirment is not possible at all for reference have a look around(many of post has already been discussed realated to this topic) by search forum.
  • Options
    dansdans Member Posts: 148
    rather than implementing the functionality, it's better to question why you need the requirement.
    that functionality will effect your system performance.
    Microsoft Certified IT Professional for Microsoft Dynamics NAV

Just a happy frood who knows where his towel is
  • Options
    ChinmoyChinmoy Member Posts: 359
    Even if you can do something, somewhat like that, it will definitely be so slow that it will be unusable.
  • Options
    smwanikismwaniki Member Posts: 3
    I have a client i am trying to convince to migrate from Quick books to Navision for inventory management.
    They like Navision functionality but are very concerned about the search.
    Have taken them through the robust Navision search and filter capabilities but they still insist on the filter as you type.

I think this is a great functionality that should be incorporated.

My challenge is how can i capture all the keyboard keys including space, backspace and Enter keys
    otherwise so far speed has not been an issue.

Regards
    Shadrack Mwaniki
    MCP, MCT - Dynamics Nav 2009
  • Options
    rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    smwaniki wrote:
    I have a client i am trying to convince to migrate from Quick books to Navision for inventory management.
    Either this is yet to be your customer or there's something wrong with this sentence.
    smwaniki wrote:
    We're glad they like it but there's nothing to be concerned about.
    smwaniki wrote:
    Have taken them through the robust Navision search and filter capabilities but they still insist on the filter as you type.
    With what argument? You said it yourself - it's robust.
    smwaniki wrote:
    Then you're one of the few who think that way. If you knew how this search option gets its results you would change your mind.
    smwaniki wrote:
    My challenge is how can i capture all the keyboard keys including space, backspace and Enter keys
    What about the wildcard characters?
    smwaniki wrote:
    So far...
  • Options
    dansdans Member Posts: 148
    smwaniki wrote:

no, it's not. try to change their mindset instead of changing Navision.
    Microsoft Certified IT Professional for Microsoft Dynamics NAV

Just a happy frood who knows where his towel is
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Choosing information system by ability to "filter as you type" means, that the customer do not know what he really needs. He is selecting toys instead application which will help him to be better in his business. Systems, where the count of entries is low (thousands) and number of users is low, can use this technique. But company info system with millions of records and many users cannot call select statement for each character the user enters. If each character input will call the query, it could take some time (e.g. 1second). This behavior will look like "slowness" for the user when entering 5 characters. The customer must understand where are the priorities and that you can still find quickly what you need in current system. Thousands of users have no problem with that... 8)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    smwaniki wrote:

Funny story.

Some time ago a customer wanted some short of "Custom Cost Calculation" preview to be available on the Item Card and List, Customer Card and List, Ship Addresses Card and List and so on... A fellow developer created a nice loop that looked like the following:

For each item the system would loop 3 - 4 times on the Value Entries and Item Ledger Entries with specific filters on custom fields and calculate some values.

The first months performance was not an issue. As you can understand, SQL Server can easily do this with around 2000 value entries in total. But as the entries grew, we reached a point where opening the Item Card would take more than 2 minutes. I won't even discuss the Item List.

I had to change the logic to use flowfields, remove the value entry looping and make the process run on demand and not automatically. As I explained to the customer the issues with each solution they finally agreed on the result. But I had to perform the changes to solve the issue.

So you need to rethink what you are asked to do and try to perform some test on "real" data and usage. When I am asked to do something "out of the ordinary" I always explain the possible drawbacks and ask the customer to agree before doing anything.
    I even have a customer with whom we agreed to Disable the find as you type functionality.

Believe me. The suggestions you will receive here on Mibuso will save you from a lot trouble and effort later on... :wink:
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    smwaniki wrote:

Are you demo-ing them with their own data?
    If not ask for some data and show them how easy it is to find what they are looking for.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    smwaniki wrote:

Regards
    Shadrack Mwaniki
    MCP, MCT - Dynamics Nav 2009

We've converted clients from Quickbooks to NAV without the user complaining about type as you search. Maybe you have to really give them your expertise and how them how to do search more effectively using RTC.