PRC and PIN document numbers

JoeITJoeIT Member Posts: 13
I am a huge novice in NAV and learning as I go. Recently we upgraded (with the help of our parent company) from 3.70B to 5.0. I recently got this ticket from our accounting department.
Prior to the transition – any time I would process an invoice I would get an entry into GL 900002 with a document number starting with 12/PRCxxxxx. Now when I process an invoice – I get an entry into GL 900002 with a document number starting with 12/PINxxxxx.
Up until the transition, I would match the document numbers together and clear the offsetting entries (AP Invoice with Receipt) to identify items that remain open and need to be addressed prior to closing a month out.
Is there any way of returning to the PRC numbering method – or can you offer a suggestion of where I can get information that would match the PIN with the PRC number in a quick fashion?

She also attached an excel file that she uses as a type of reconciliation (offsetting amounts with the same PRC number would clear each other). Our parent company states that Microsoft changed its document numbering system from PRC to PIN and this is causing the issue and there is nothing to do.

Anyone have recommendations or experienced this before?

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Sounds like you want to change the number series - Have a look how your old number series looked like and compare it to your new number series to find the differences.

Number series is easy to change.
  • JoeITJoeIT Member Posts: 13
    yUW9N.jpg
    Here is a table showing the lines of NAV 3.7 number series vs Nav5.0 number series, They look identical to me. What would I change?
    So if they are setup the same way then perhaps the assignment is different.
    In 3.7 you probably have a screen like this that shows which no series is assigned to which doc.

I'm thinking that in your new version perhaps one of these is assigned differently.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    JoeIT wrote:
    Our parent company states that Microsoft changed its document numbering system from PRC to PIN and this is causing the issue and there is nothing to do.

This is a custom configuration for your company, its not something special that Microsoft did, unless for some reason Microsoft came to your company and made some changes specifically for you.

What really might have happened, is that form 3.6 to 5.0 there was a change in the way document numebrs were generated, this was done so that posting from an Order or direct from an Invoice would use the same logic, so that could have affected you. BUT it shouldn't be a problem to configure it like you need.

Also I get the feeling from your post that the way you use Navision is the same way the rest of us do. In reality it just does not work like that, apart form the fact that most systems are customized in code, even without code changes you can configure Navision in hundreds or thousands of different ways, so you really need to explain what you are doing, how you create these documents and what the outputs are that you are looking at.
    David Singleton
    Savatage wrote:
    So if they are setup the same way then perhaps the assignment is different.
    In 3.7 you probably have a screen like this that shows which no series is assigned to which doc.

I'm thinking that in your new version perhaps one of these is assigned differently.
    Thank you for the fast response.
    I just checked this and they are both assigned to the same number series using PIN.
    what are you refering to?
    the Purchase Invoice & Purchase receipts are assigned to the same number series?

so did you keep the purchase inv set to the PIN
    & change the receipt to PRC?
    Sorry for the confusion. Both versions (3.70 and 5.0) are set to use the same document series. Meaning that posted receipt is set to PRC and posted invoice is set to PIN.

EDIT: When I look general ledger entries on the 900002 account, there are no documents with a number series of PIN until after we transitioned and even then it seems about half the time. Perhaps a user is entering incorrectly, but I'm not sure how that would be done
  • aseigleaseigle Member Posts: 207
    JoeIT wrote:
    EDIT: When I look general ledger entries on the 900002 account, there are no documents with a number series of PIN until after we transitioned and even then it seems about half the time. Perhaps a user is entering incorrectly, but I'm not sure how that would be done

There is a field in Purchase & Payables setup for Receipt on Invoice. If that field is checked, and you create a Purchase invoice, a Purchase Receipt is automatically created for you when you post a Purchase Invoice. If this field was not checked, that could explain why sometimes you are getting the Receipt document, and other times you are not.

Just a thought. Hope it helps.

Adam
    I think I got some more information.
    Here are two pics of table 17 and highlighted are sample transaction on posting the receipt and invoice of a purchase order.
    Nav3.7
    IcAzM.png
    Nav5.0
    vcwIG.png

As you can see when it is posting to Ledger 900002 it using PRC vs PIN. I'm assuming I need to investigate the codeunits for purchasing posting (90,91,92) which all are marked as modified in Nav3.7. I'll reach out to the previous consultants who would have done this modification to understand more.

Thanks.