NAS also initializing a client?

jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
I am new to setting up NAS. I read the documentation and installed the NAS per the instructions (both MS and ISV). The service starts and the expected result is achieved. On the surface, it seems okay.

Currently, it is running on a test box with my user credentials. Today I noticed that the test box is showing my user name running an Application Server and a Client on the test box. I am not physically running a client on that box, and assumed I maybe left it running while testing. I deleted the session via NAV and moments later, the Application Server session also terminated. When I restarted the service, I noticed that a 'phantom' client session using my credentials opened again. I find this odd.

I have requested our network admin create a NAS user so I can furhter confirm that the NAS is somehow consuming a client seat while it runs.

Anyone have any similar experiences? Any guess as to what could be wrong? We have a current live NAS connection that never shows a Client entry in the database sessions table, so that is what I was expecting on this test.

EDIT: follow-up, the vendor's product uses C/FRONT which is consuming the client seat, so what I was seeing was expected for the product.
kind of fell into this...

Answers

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    In normal circumstances, the NAS does not run a normal client. It might be possible that there is some code run by the NAS that start a NAV client, but that is highly unlikely.

You can run http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653. When you show the processes as a tree, you see directly what started what process.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
    Thanks. I will contact the ISV and see if this is normal with their product.
    kind of fell into this...