"Parser Error" on restore

JoeKJoeK Member Posts: 53
Hello,

i hope you can help me on this one. I am doing a backup of a 3.70 database (native) and restore it in a NAV2009 R2 database (SQL). This happens when i only do a restore with objects, no data... :shock:

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic
The C/AL object was not saved in compiled form. Compile it from the Object Designer and run it again.

Parser error.

Parser error.

Parser error.

Parser error.

OK

Comments

• KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Hi,

Could you check the date on some on your objects?
    I have seen blank dates on objects cause the strangest errors.

Also if you are only doing the objects, why are you using the backup functionality?
    It is better to use the import and export functionality for this.

Hope this helps,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
  • JoeKJoeK Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for your reply, unfortunately this was not the case, all the dates and times are set in the list...any further ideas?

Edit: I want to do a full backup including data, but i narrowed down the problem to the objects
  • jspoppjspopp Member Posts: 54
    hi, can you provide us with a screenshot of your error message? that may help
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Aren't the codes somehow "protected" by 3rd party tool? I mean the situation, when you open the code and you can only see the function headers and all the code is replaced with some simple line...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    @jspopp: I´ve attached the error message, but looks the same as in my first post :)

@kine: I don´t think the code has been protected, do you know how i could identify this?

I played arround with my backup a bit and i was able to import all the objects to an empty database, but i still was not able to restore it only with application objects. Then i tried to restore it with a 3.70, this works, then i opened it with my NAV2009R2 client and converted the database. But after that i was not able to open the database any more, because of the following error:

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic
    The file DCMEMSTREAM contains a record that cannot be read completely.

OK

This is getting very strange....
    You can identify it by opening code of some object in the database, where are the object available. If you can see the code, than it is nopt protected....
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • vijay_gvijay_g Member Posts: 884
    I have successfuly restore the backup in same version(nav 5.0) having object protected code.

I didn't try with higher version.
  • navuser1navuser1 Member Posts: 1,329
    Once I've faced the same kind of problem.
    I've noticed that a SourceTable of a form was missing (deleted unfortunately ).
    Now or Never
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    JoeK wrote:
    @kine: I don´t think the code has been protected, do you know how i could identify this?

Go to object designer, select All objects and then Ctrl-A to select them all.

Then press F11 to compile all objects. At the end you will have a list of objects that wont compile, identify why they wont compile. Most will be because of missing DLLs, outlook excel etc. Try opening the ones that won't compile and compile them manually to see what the issue is.
    David Singleton
  • navuser1navuser1 Member Posts: 1,329
    Most will be because of missing DLLs

Sir DLLs missing database backup can be restored without giving any error message.
    Now or Never
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    navuser1 wrote:
    Most will be because of missing DLLs

Sir DLLs missing database backup can be restored without giving any error message.

Please read the WHOLE post, not one sentence at random. :roll:
    David Singleton
    vijay_g wrote:
    I have successfuly restore the backup in same version(nav 5.0) having object protected code.

I didn't try with higher version.

Do not forget that NAV 2009 is recompiling the objects into c# assembly automatically, NAV 5 is not doing that....
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hello all,

you won´t believe it 8) I was able to restore my backup with a SP1 version of NAV2009 and then open the database with my R2 client and convert it...my case at MS is still open, lets see what they say... :mrgreen:

Nevertheless, this might be a helpfull information for all the others which also encounter this error \:D/