Customize Invoice No.??

nvermanverma Member Posts: 396
I am not sure how to go about doing this...But the user has requested the ability to add a reference No. (field) beside the invoice No.(which is automatically generated by a No series) when a report is run. Therefore, I was thinking to have an option tab, where he can enter a reference no.

But, the part I am not sure how to do is, how can i make the system remember that reference No. field so that when he runs the report (for the same invoice no.) the next time, the reference No. (field in option) should automatically filled in the reference no. field in the option tab.

If it is a different report( different invoice no), the reference field should input the reference no, to whatever the user entered for that invoice. no.

Any ideas how I can go about doing this???

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    You seem to be customizing at a rapid pace. I'd hate to see that customers bill when they need to upgrade. That being said, due to all your mods if you think your explanation makes Sence I can tell you it doesn't because most nav systems don't work as that one does.

In your first paragraph says that some report generates an invoice number from some number series. In your second paragraph you say if they run the report again for the same invoice number it should show some reference no. So which is it? Does this report generate an invoice no or is the invoice no already assigned?

Is this a sales invoice? Are you using the external doc number? That's where most people put reference numbers like po#s
  • nvermanverma Member Posts: 396
    These customizing requests are coming from the user that uses these reports and forms on day to day basis. Look at the attached picture and it might give you a better understanding.

Basically, there is a report called "Purchase Document", which contains the list of the items that have been purchased. When a purchase document is submitted(posted), it is given a unique Invoice No.

Enhancement user has requested.
    - Right beside the Invoice No. user wants an ability to add a Reference No. ( that he/she will manually type in). To do this. I have created a code field called "Reference No.", which you can also see in the options tab. When the user runs the report, he/she can go to the options tab and enter text of there choice, which will be displayed right beside the invoice No.

The problem
    Lets say the Invoice No. is 44899 and in the options tab the user enters the reference no. field as 7-9. So when the report is run, it should display "Invoice No. + Reference No.". So in this case it would be: "Invoice 44899 7-9".

Lets say we run the report again, but this time the Invoice No. was 44524 and reference No. was 1475. In this case, it will be: "Invoice 44524 1475".

Lets say a week has gone by, since the user looked at Invoice No. 44899. He/she probably wont remember the reference No. that he/she had used. Therefore, in the options tab, the reference No. should automatically be filled in based on the last reference no. that was used for that particular Invoice No. (which in this case was 7-9). For instance, if the user ran the Invoice No. 44524, the reference No. field (in option tab) should display 1475 (so the user can change it if he/she chooses).

How can I make the system remember or recall the value that was last used for reference no. for a particular Invoice No.
  • vijay_gvijay_g Member Posts: 884
    The better way to do this is give permission to user to modify posted invoice form(make each field non-editable accept only one field reference no. you can also use external doc no.) and print this field in invoice report.

This is as i understand to get the point resolved whether you would decide what may be the painful area beside this.
    I think it's your terminology that's confusing. When you say invoice you should be saying purchase order, I think? You are using this report to post? So this report creates po's? What's wrong with the requisition worksheet? When they enter this number that they won't remember are you saving it in the header somewhere? When they run this report a second time a week later I assume they are entering the po# (invoice no). And you want their special code to show on this repot. If this number changes why not just put in the po comments for that order? That way you can see all the special numbers associated with that po.

It's unclear to me about this report. Just out of curiosity is it based on the item table? Say you filter some items you would like to purchase and it then creates a po? If that's the case when it's run again it doesn't create a different po? Or if it's based on a po and your just printing it for some kind of approval?

Based on your posts, i don't think this user knows what kind of mess they are creating in my opinion. Perhaps they just needed better training on how the system works. Sounds like they are modifying everything to match some other system they had and were used to.
    nverma wrote:
    Therefore, in the options tab, the reference No. should automatically be filled in based on the last reference no. that was used for that particular Invoice No. (which in this case was 7-9). For instance, if the user ran the Invoice No. 44524, the reference No. field (in option tab) should display 1475 (so the user can change it if he/she chooses).
    Are you sure your talking about a report and not a form?
    It almost sound like before you run this report you want some old value to appear? Are they using a lookup to select this invoice? Or is it run from the po directly and it's auto filling the "no." field like most standard nav invoices when you select print? If that's the case and your also saving this value to the header, then your question is about passing parameters to a report.

And please clarify if this is a purchase order, puchase invoice or posted purchase invoice?
    Last point is to be clear in you posts what the actual steps are. I keep rereading it and I have a new question each time. So say this report is based on an already existing po. At this point their is no special code. Then they run this report where they can enter some special code. You then save that to a field on the already existing po. So the second time they run it it now shows the po# and this code. And if they want to change this code they have run the report again this time changing the code on the options tab and replacing the old code. So they have to run this report 3x just to get to that point? Doesn't sound very efficient to me.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Savatage wrote:
    Based on your posts, i don't think this user knows what kind of mess they are creating in my opinion. Perhaps they just needed better training on how the system works. Sounds like they are modifying everything to match some other system they had and were used to.

But isn't this in general the direction many customers are heading these days? From the posts we are seeing here and on Dynamics Users, it seems many partners just are not willing to invest in the level of consultants required to implement Navision systems, Rather than saying no to the customer, they just hand the spec off to a developer* and tell them to code it.

The core issue is why partners no longer see the value in investing in training.

* by developer I mean someone with Cronus, developers license and a hand full of PDFs to learn from.
    David Singleton
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    vijay_g wrote:
    The better way to do this is give permission to user to modify posted invoice form(make each field non-editable accept only one field reference no. you can also use external doc no.) and print this field in invoice report.

This is as i understand to get the point resolved whether you would decide what may be the painful area beside this.

tually Vijay,

Changing the code is last step. Try to change processes first... 8)
    David Singleton
  • dansdans Member Posts: 148
    But isn't this in general the direction many customers are heading these days? From the posts we are seeing here and on Dynamics Users, it seems many partners just are not willing to invest in the level of consultants required to implement Navision systems, Rather than saying no to the customer, they just hand the spec off to a developer* and tell them to code it.

The core issue is why partners no longer see the value in investing in training.

* by developer I mean someone with Cronus, developers license and a hand full of PDFs to learn from.

Sadly, I've seen more and more consultants making the customization just because they can.
    Microsoft Certified IT Professional for Microsoft Dynamics NAV

Just a happy frood who knows where his towel is
  • MBergerMBerger Member Posts: 413
    If i read the question correctly, the OP wants to be able to enter a reference number when he first prints the reports, and have that SAMe refeence number shows up on the request options form next time he prints the same document.

As far as i know, that isn't possible, the requestform has no knowledge of what is entered in the request filter fields, so there is no way to get the original document.

i think this can be solved in 2 ways, the first being what has been mentioned before : add the reference to the original document and have the user enter it on the form of that document. Another option would be to ask the user for the reference not on the request options form, but during the printing ( using a form to ask the user the reference ); then at least you know the document you are handling. This would be completely against the NAV standards, of course, and i don't recommend to do it this way, just that it is a POSSIBLE option.