I can't restore a .fbk backup in local

DarkHorseDarkHorse Member Posts: 389
Hello, I've triying to restore a local copy from my database but it seems to be a problem.
First, simpy what I do is open my database and go to Tools / Backup. Then I choose "All database", making sure it is marked "Common data to all companies" and "Application Objects" in file name put some name (file.fbk for example) and I choose a location. After a while it makes the copy into a .fbk file.
The I open my Attain 4.0 client and create a new database (or use the local I have already in) . Then I go to Tools / restore and look for the .fbk file. After a few minutes it finish but shows the error "Don`t find c:\file2.fbk". It seems like a file is missed, but, on backup, it doesn't create any file more and doesn't shows any error message. I've read somewhere that, if the database is more than 2Gb it creates several fbk files (I don't know it's true). May be there is something about that, because the .fbk file is just 1,99Gb, but on backup it doesn't creates more .fbk files or show some kind of error, it seems finish ok.
I've do this several times, but never have had any error. What can happen please?.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    First about the 2GB limit. It is true. It is an old inheritance of the FAT. The same limit applies to dataports and the output file when you test a DB.

For the older versions of NAV it is best to let the backupfile name end with a number (I always do something like "Some Backup 20130413 01.fbk".
    It is needed because if the 2GB limit is reached and NAV cannot increment the filename ("Some Backup 20130413 02.fbk" in this example), it generates an error.
    The newer versions of NAV don't have the problem any more I noticed, but I still do it.
    Maybe for some NAV-version+build, an error is NOT generated but the file isn't created either.
    So try to do a backup using a number to finish the filename.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• NewBeeNewBee Member Posts: 6
    If you look at the destination you saved the .fbk to I think that you will find that a folder has a number in the name. Look for a new folder, that has the same name, but with the number increased by 1. For instance if you have: "...\folder17\data.fbk" then look for "...\folder18\data.fbk".

That is a little "feature" in NAV. To avoid this you should name your backup "...\folder17\data1.fbk". Then you will get the 2nd part off the backup as "...\folder17\data2.fbk" and when importing it wil aoutmatically continue to "disk2" :-)

Hope this will be helpful to you...
    Best regards

NewBee
  • DarkHorseDarkHorse Member Posts: 389
    Thanks both for help, I'll try your advices and I tell you something.
    Thanks.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I can also verify Kriki's post. If you end your file name in a number it increases automatically.
  • DarkHorseDarkHorse Member Posts: 389
    Thanks everybody, it works!!!! =D> . As you said I had to make the backup putting a number instead of a name, for example 123123 01.fbk. Then the systema automatically creates 123123 02.fbk, etc....
    Thaks everybody for help.
    Best regards.