Employee count check error when users have limited companies

josephdeweyjosephdewey Member Posts: 87
Can someone help me to get rid of this error message? Thanks!

When users don't get assigned to all companies in a Navision database, when they first log in, they get this error:
WARNING! You do not have proper permissions set up on your account to to perform the employee count check. You will not be able to add or modify employees until you have the proper permissions.

You must have indirect or full read permission to the Employee table in all companies in this database.

Please contact your system administrator to put appropriate permissions on your account.
There is a workaround, which is suggested in the text of the error message, which is to give the users rights to the Employee table in all databases.

This causes more problems than it solves, because if I do this, then users can choose from all the companies in the database. Then if they accidentally select a company they don't have access to, then their session errors out. Then the ZUP file is attached to the wrong company, and the user gets errors when they try to open Navision. The only solution then is to delete their ZUP file. So if we go with the path suggested by the error message, we'll be deleting ZUP files a lot whenever a user makes a mistake.

I can live with the error message, but I just don't like it. We're on NAV 2009 SP1. Do you know if a later release fixes this issue? Thanks!
Joseph Dewey
Microsoft Dynamics NAV User

Comments

• ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Have you tried to use "SETPERMISSIONFILTER" function?
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • josephdeweyjosephdewey Member Posts: 87
    Hi ssingla,

I wasn't aware of the SETPERMISSIONFILTER function, so thanks for the idea. I looked into it, and this function will probably help me out in future projects.

Unfortunately, this error happens when we first open a company, even before the navigation bar shows up, so it's definitely not something that an end user like me can modify. Also, I think that it's functionality that's buried deep in the heart of Navision, so I would guess that a partner wouldn't be able to disable it either. But, I don't know about those parts of Navision.

Thanks!
    Joseph Dewey
    Hi ssingla,

I wasn't aware of the SETPERMISSIONFILTER function, so thanks for the idea. I looked into it, and this function will probably help me out in future projects.

Unfortunately, this error happens when we first open a company, even before the navigation bar shows up, so it's definitely not something that an end user like me can modify. Also, I think that it's functionality that's buried deep in the heart of Navision, so I would guess that a partner wouldn't be able to disable it either. But, I don't know about those parts of Navision.

Thanks!

No. Error stated by yourself is not a standard message and surely is customized (except if it is a part of your country localization, which I seriously doubt). Your Partner should be able to help you.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    This surely isn't a customization by us. I believe it is part of the Payroll module, as it is checking employees, which you may be right, may be part of the US localization.

Thanks!
    Joseph Dewey
    Can you specify whether you are working for Client or Partner. If you are working for Client then ask your partner to rectify the problem and if you are working for Partner then pose the question to Payroll Vendor (Microsoft Dynamics ISV).

I don't think US localization have Payroll module. Can members of the forum throw some light on this?
    CA Sandeep Singla
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I know I often say how the US version of Navision was one of the few decent examples of how localization should be done, unfortunately I often over look payroll. It is sadly enough standard Navision, but its not easy to find anything in there, with such gems of code as:
    MESSAGE('License File Information:' +
           '\PR Granule(s) Exist? ' + FORMAT(CheckPRCount) +
            ', Max Employee = ' + FORMAT(PRMaxEmpCount) +
            ', at Index ' + FORMAT(GranIndexPR) +
           '\HR Granule(s) Exist? ' + FORMAT(CheckHRCount) + ', ' +
            ', Max Employee = ' + FORMAT(HRMaxEmpCount) +
            ', at Index ' + FORMAT(GranIndexHR) +
           '\Ranges Differ? ' + FORMAT(RangesDiffer) +
           '\Startup called? ' + FORMAT(StartupCalled) );

Some times messages are hard coded, sometimes they use constants.
    Name	                ConstValue
    WarningLevel	You are approaching your employee count limit based on your license (count is %1, limit is %2).
    LimitLevel	        You have reached your employee count limit based on your license (limit is %1).
    LimitLevel2	        \You will not be able to %1 more employees to cause you to go over your licensed limit.
    Exceed1	        You have exceeded your licensed employee count limit (count is %1, limit is %2).
    Exceed2	        \You will not be allowed to %1 employees until you reduce the number of counted employees or increase your licensed limit.

The OP's error message should be somewhere in codeunit 37003000, but is probably hidden further down the chain.

It is ludicrous beyond belief that every user gets messages like this. There will be only one or two Navision users that ever touch payroll, and they should be managing this.

I have always said that payroll should NEVER be included in Navision, and this is just one more great example of why.
    David Singleton
    Hi David,

Thanks for the information about this. And it's actually not every user that gets this error, just 90 of the 140 users in our company who don't have access to all of the companies in the database.

I was hoping there was a good fix for this obnoxious message, especially since there's a mistake in the grammar of the message, repeating the word "to". But, maybe companies like mine are just giving all the users access to all of the companies, or they're just living with this message.

Thanks!
    Joseph Dewey
    I think I figured out an answer to this error!

If the user has some rights to the Employee table (table 5200), but does not have rights to this table in all companies in the database, then the user will get this error.

But, if the user has no rights to the Employee table, then they will not get this warning message. It's weird that the Payroll module forces you to give your HR people rights to every company in the database, in order to work (Or people who need to view the Employee table in just one market). But I think I can live with that. Hopefully they fix it in a future version.

So, the short answer is to remove the user right to the Employee table, or give that user rights to all companies.
    Joseph Dewey