Native Service crash after session delete

JonBJonB Member Posts: 6
Hello,

We have had a problem for a while where the native database service crashes a few times a month. We have managed to pin it down to when our nas session killer deletes idle session, so we stopped this for a while. However, when we manually deleted an idle session from the sessions table it crashed the service as per before. When the session killer was running on the NAS it would only happen once or twice a month, thus there must be a scenario what is causing this error as the job was running every hour.

The session we deleted the other day was an idle NAS user which was not actually logged in but still showing in the sessions table.

The client we run is native NAV 2009 R2, which we have recently upgraded to in december, however this was doing this before the upgrade.

The event viewer on the nav server shows the following error:

"Error 18 in module 244" & "Faulting application SERVER.exe, version 6.0.32012.0, time stamp 0x4d030433, faulting module nc_TCP.DLL".

I believe its probably some kind of network issue, but as not an network expert myself, i was hoping someone might have had the problem before?

We have logged with microsoft who are also looking into it and are also going to network issue as well.

I have had a hunt on the forums and couldnt find any similar scenarios are this.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    What is a "NAS session killer"? Why do you need one?
    What do you mean by "idle NAS user"?
    How many NAS do you have running?
    Are you talking about a Client upgrade only or a complete one?
    Did you upgrade the NAS as well?
    Why are you still using the native database?
  • JonBJonB Member Posts: 6
    rhpnt wrote:
    What is a "NAS session killer"? Why do you need one?
    What do you mean by "idle NAS user"?
    How many NAS do you have running?
    Are you talking about a Client upgrade only or a complete one?
    Did you upgrade the NAS as well?
    Why are you still using the native database?

1. Nas session killer is just a automated process to close sessions after a certain amount of idle time. This is used to try to battle the license implication of users, especially when people dont close down their session.

2. "Idle nas user" - in the sessions table NAS user was logged in and was idle

3. We have one NAS only, but NAS isnt really the issue I believe.

4/5. It was a complete upgrade, NAS was upgraded as it would not work

6. We are planning to switch to SQL this year, but native still has its benefits.

Thanks.
  • mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    Interesting topic.

Our client does not have enough user licenses for everyone to work with so during the day a SUPER user kills somes idle sessions. This was ok in NAV 4.03 but after an executable upgrade to NAV 2009 R2 suddenly the server can crash. It has done this now a few times and Microsoft couldn't give a reasonable explanation for this until this topic came along.

Maybe it's related? Since a backup/restore to a brand new 2009 R2 database the problem hasn't come up but who knows..
  • JonBJonB Member Posts: 6
    Interesting topic.

Our client does not have enough user licenses for everyone to work with so during the day a SUPER user kills somes idle sessions. This was ok in NAV 4.03 but after an executable upgrade to NAV 2009 R2 suddenly the server can crash. It has done this now a few times and Microsoft couldn't give a reasonable explanation for this until this topic came along.

Maybe it's related? Since a backup/restore to a brand new 2009 R2 database the problem hasn't come up but who knows..

I did not know this, but unfortuately it happened before we upgraded to 2009 R2. We were on 4.01 before however, not the more stable 4.03.