Question about serial / lot numbers and bin code

markyTmarkyT Member Posts: 120
Hi, this is for those who work (or know) with batch or serial numbers and bin code. When we put the product in a purchase line we indicate the bin code of parts and serial numbers that apply. But I noticed that when checking out the material from the sales order, go to "Line / Item tracking lines" to indicate the serial numbers we want to go, but don't see the bin code. Does anyone know how I can do to display?.
The problem is that, as we can`t see the bin code, we take any serial numbre, then in warehouse do not know where to go looking for them, bin codes can be of different inputs located at different sites.
Thank you very much.

Comments

• markyTmarkyT Member Posts: 120
    Did anyone know how I can do this, please?.
    Thanks in advance.
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    I don't know how your set up of the location(s) and warehouse is but; Why do you want to determine the put/pick bin at the order level? The bin (put and pick) should be determined after the initial order process.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    The answer to your question depends are how your WHM is enabled. Are you using Warehouse Ship? Bin Mandatory? Directed pick/put-away?
    Thanks both. I'm only using bin mandatory. The problem is that, on Line / Item tracking lines, as I said, I cant's see the bin code from serial code. Another good solution should be that only show the serial codes that were in the same bin code as the item from sales line, by this way there would be no confusion in taking part from another bin code.
    Thanks for help.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    That's it? Bin mandatory? What about warehouse shipment? Inventory pick? Directed pick? Where are you clicking on Item tracking line? On the sales order?

It's probably better to get your partner to come in and take a look at this problem for you. There are a ton of ways to setup "WHM" in NAV and how you setup WHM will determine how you should be processing lot/serial numbers.
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    NAV does not support your situation very well. Using Bin Mandatory but no Whse Functions results in exactly your problem. There are workarounds though.

In standard NAV there is no function existing which displays the available serial/lot nos. AND the bin code where it is placed. Such a function can be programmed by your partner.

On the other hand using Whse shipment and pick would also solve your problem. But this really depends on your processes. Talk to your partner to find a fitting solution for you.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
    Thanks for reply.
    That's it? Bin mandatory? What about warehouse shipment? Inventory pick? Directed pick? Where are you clicking on Item tracking line? On the sales order?

We don't use "wharehouse management" menu, only the bin code part sites that I have explained. We clicking on Item tracking line on sales order, is here where I want show the bin codes on select the serial number (or lot number). Obviously we do this process on purchase lines, transfers, etc..I think we have well defined wharehouses, locations, etc...
    In standard NAV there is no function existing which displays the available serial/lot nos. AND the bin code where it is placed. Such a function can be programmed by your partner.

Sorry, probably I'm not explaining well; we can display the available serial/lot numbers on sales order Item tracking lines, but not the bin code from this form (form 6500 "from standard"). The information about the bin code from these serial/lot numbers appears on "Item Ledger Entry", so I thought that it would not be difficult to indicate the bin code here too.

Thanks for help.
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    markyT wrote:
    The information about the bin code from these serial/lot numbers appears on "Item Ledger Entry", so I thought that it would not be difficult to indicate the bin code here too.
    Which NAV version is that?

Before Attain there were no item tracking lines existing and with NAV 3 they introduced already the warehouse entries which contain the bin codes. I can't remember a version which had a bin code field in the ILEs.
    Is this a standard field in the item ledger entries with the bin code or is this a modification?

Anyway, as it is not existing in your version you (or your partner) will need to make a modification.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    It sounds like you have version 3.01 or 3.10 those versions both had implemented a rudimentary WMS that didn't really do anything, and bin code was still a field on the Item Ledger entry, similar in many ways to 2.01 and 2.60.

I think you need to be clear what version you are on because the posts above are assuming that you have a version with full WMS such as from 3.70 onwards.
    David Singleton
    Thanks for reply. I've 3.70 version. Anyway, about your comments, I see that it is not easy to do. I'll ask to my partner to see that solution brings me.
    Thanks for your help and time.