Lanham ADCS Question

ALopez2710ALopez2710 Member Posts: 47
I'm new to Lanham ADCS, trying to debug a process (Receiving), the code is obviously running from one of our NAS processes, I would like to run the various function and codeunits on a regular client instead of the NAS so I can put break-points, check value, trace, etc. using the debugger.

Does anybody know of an easy way to run this from a regular NAV client instead of the NAS job?

Comments

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    As far as I know you can't. You can although start NAS in debug mode but this isn't the kind you're used in the NAV client.
  • ALopez2710ALopez2710 Member Posts: 47
    It looks like the ADCS are just NAV codeunits (or other objects) that are run from the NAS, and since the NAS is just simulating an NAV client, I would think we could run them from a reg. client as long as we know what codeunit to run.
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Maybe a stupid question ... did you ask Lanham?
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
    ALopez2710 wrote:
    It looks like the ADCS are just NAV codeunits (or other objects) that are run from the NAS, and since the NAS is just simulating an NAV client, I would think we could run them from a reg. client as long as we know what codeunit to run.
    If you look at the startup parameter of NAS you'll see "ADCS" standing there. It stands as a parameter for a special function in codeunit 1. If you're new to ADCS don't even try to tamper with that you might loose the whole thing. A classic NAV client can never "simulate" NAS behaviour. What you can do is to simulate the handhelds by using Hyperterminal or similar software which supports the VT100 plugin.
  • ALopez2710ALopez2710 Member Posts: 47
    ALopez2710 wrote:
    If you look at the startup parameter of NAS you'll see "ADCS" standing there. It stands as a parameter for a special function in codeunit 1. If you're new to ADCS don't even try to tamper with that you might loose the whole thing. A classic NAV client can never "simulate" NAS behaviour. What you can do is to simulate the handhelds by using Hyperterminal or similar software which supports the VT100 plugin.

Not sure what you mean by 'A classic NAV client can never simulate NAS behaviour'.....from what I understand, the NAS is just a NAV client running in the background, does it not execute C/AL code just like an NAV client would? I have not done it for the specific Lanham ADCS, but in the past I have run codeunits (or reports) direclty from the object designed that are run by the NAS. My intention is to have a VT100 Hyperterminal session as well as an NAV session running in the foreground instead of the background (NAS) to make it easier to trouble shoot and put breakpoints in the code.
    NAS is running as a service whereas the classic client is not. Therefore the ADCS plug-in is designed to communicate with that service via the VT100 protocol using XML. The VT100 enabled handheld device is using a IP address to connect to that service - this is what I meant.

To get back to your "just some codeunits" theory - if you don't understand the basic principle of how ADCS works don't tamper with it - unless you want to give Lanham an easy opportunity to make some good money...