SQLdata load

sbolton1855sbolton1855 Member Posts: 39
I was informed that a back end 'Data load' using SQL inserts (even though do-able, done , and tested) is a violation of the NAV License Why is this..? Are there any good data port tutorials? (I am a very advanced on T-SQL) but not on the NAV front end. thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I was informed that a back end 'Data load' using SQL inserts (even though do-able, done , and tested) is a violation of the NAV License ...

Where did you hear that? Sounds like you misunderstood.

If you are right then I have a lot of clients that are in violation of their license. :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
  • sbolton1855sbolton1855 Member Posts: 39
    I heard this from our NAV partner, i was doing a data load into a table on our test system when our manager called our partner and explained waht we were doing and he told the manager i was in violation of the license and i had to use dataports and use NAV front end only
    I heard this from our NAV partner, i was doing a data load into a table on our test system when our manager called our partner and explained waht we were doing and he told the manager i was in violation of the license and i had to use dataports and use NAV front end only

I would demand that they give you that in writing. Get them to show you int he license agreement where it says that.
    David Singleton
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973

I would demand that they give you that in writing. Get them to show you int he license agreement where it says that.

The partner is correct. You will need either Light User or Limited Device CAL (Device) to interact with NAV database.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
    ssingla wrote:
    The partner is correct. You will need either Light User or Limited Device CAL (Device) to interact with NAV database.

Not really. Either the information posted above by the OP is incorrect, or the partner is wrong. It is possible that the client needs to purchase a granule to access the data in some way, but it is NOT true that the NAV License agreement prohibits direct access to the SQL back end.

It is probably a misunderstanding between the partner and the Client.
    David Singleton
  • carboncarbon Member Posts: 22
    I really agree with David Singleton. And one remark: be careful to when you use SQL Insert statement. Be aware that any business logic built in NAV application is not run! Data integratinon can be corrupt.
    I was informed that a back end 'Data load' using SQL inserts (even though do-able, done , and tested) is a violation of the NAV License Why is this..? Are there any good data port tutorials? (I am a very advanced on T-SQL) but not on the NAV front end. thanks in advance! :)

David the user seems to require data insert on a regular basis and I see no reason why it should not be licensed.
    CA Sandeep Singla
  • sbolton1855sbolton1855 Member Posts: 39
    I am just trying to push some data into NAV (uptade some records and add new ones), and i was told that it was a voilation of our license to do this through SSMS and it was also unsupported since it was not done through the front end... Its not a big deal, i guess i will have to look into data ports (and also request a copy of the restrictions).
    ...I was informed that a back end 'Data load' using SQL inserts (even though do-able, done , and tested) is a violation of the NAV License Why is this..? ...
    ... i was told that it was a voilation of our license to do this through SSMS ...

It probably seems like semantics, but there is a huge difference between THE license agreement and OUR license agreement.

Definitely accessing the Navision database through SSMS is NOT a breach of THE Navision License agreement, but I have no way of knowing if it breaches your specific license or not. I still doubt it, but I would have your partner give you the specific details of why your license is special and why you can't access it. Maybe for example you have a 10 user license, and the partner knows that you will have all those 10 logged in at the same time you access the back end, in which case you would have 11 sessions attached to your database. But if one of those log off, and you have only nine users logged in then I can't see it as a breach for you to use that 10 log into access the database.

The standard license agreement states that you are not allowed to connect more users to the database than you have licenses for, and there are various mechanisms for licensing that access.
    David Singleton
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I will add something:

let separate it into two parts: license and support

Yes, this scenario could have problem with support. NAV Partner could tell you that it is not supported, because they cannot support something, what was "changed" from outside. E.g. when you enter lowercase characters into code type fields (and you cannot see this info in SQL directly), the NAV will have problems with such a record. Thus, it is not supported. But it is possible.

License: Every access into NAV database must be licensed. If you are accessing from NAVclient, it is licenses by concurrent user session. If you are accessing NAV database through anything else, you need to have named user/device license (light user). That's true. No multiplexing or proxiing applies to this. Of course, this applies to live DB.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Maybe for example you have a 10 user license, and the partner knows that you will have all those 10 logged in at the same time you access the back end, in which case you would have 11 sessions attached to your database. But if one of those log off, and you have only nine users logged in then I can't see it as a breach for you to use that 10 log into access the database.
    Its not only that 11 concurrent user license give you permission to connect 11 users by whatever mean. All should be thru NAV Client (RTC/Classic). If you are connecting thru other means (web service, SSMS) the access should be licensed by Light User/Device/Self Service etc.
    CA Sandeep Singla
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Also note, the NAV Client and Light User/Device licenses are not interchangable. For example, if you have 10 users who sometimes use the RTC and sometimes use an external application to access NAV, you would need 10 NAV Client sessions plus 10 Light User sessions.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.