Installation of Patch 25143

JoggyJoggy Member Posts: 4
Hi all,

I'm a SQL Server DBA (with no Navision experience) that has been asked to solve a Navision problem... When the converting the database, the SQL Log file of the 260GB database is growing exponentially... after 4% of converting the database my SQL log file is at 30GB.

After a while, it crashes giving me the following error...
The transaction log for database 'XXXXX" is full. To find out why space in the log cannot be reused, see the log_reuse_wait_desc column in sys.databases.

The disk has 120 GB of disk space before starting the process...
At that rate I would need a free disk space equivalent to 500GB if not more (just for the Log File)

Has anyone been through the same problemÉ and Would anyone have a solution to this problem?
Right now this is running on a replica of our Live database...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Firstly that is not a great version, go instead to 26565. It is taking time because it needs to add a bug into the SIFT tables that you then will need to remove later :mrgreen:

On your test database and using your old EXE (I am guessing you are on 23305) go to all the very big tables and untick the boxes for maintainSIFT and maintainSQlIndex EXCEPT for the primary key.

Then run conversion.

Now backup the log file.

Once conversion is complete, re import all the objects (tables) you changed from the live DB. This will put the SIFTS back in.
    David Singleton
  • JoggyJoggy Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your prompt reply.
    It makes sence.
    We will try this today!

I'll keep you posted.
    :thumbsup:
  • JoggyJoggy Member Posts: 4
    Hi David,

Without your help we would have been buying a TB HD to be able to store 1 Log file during this patch update process... LOL :oops:

My log file took a total of 25.7 GB to update the 260 GB DB (once the SIFTs were exported or Removed as you suggested) within only 1 hour!!! instead of taking an eternity!!!!
    Very reasonable considering the time and space it took before applying your suggestion!!!

We are now at the point of reimporting the SIFTs... It's looking good!

Thank you very much!!! It is greatly appreciated!

You Da Man!!!! =D>
    :D
    \:D/
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Joggy wrote:
    Hi David,

Without your help we would have been buying a TB HD to be able to store 1 Log file during this patch update process... LOL :oops:

My log file took a total of 25.7 GB to update the 260 GB DB (once the SIFTs were exported or Removed as you suggested) within only 1 hour!!! instead of taking an eternity!!!!
    Very reasonable considering the time and space it took before applying your suggestion!!!

We are now at the point of reimporting the SIFTs... It's looking good!

Thank you very much!!! It is greatly appreciated!

You Da Man!!!! =D>
    :D
    \:D/

Thanks for that, always nice to be appreciated. I guess I can use threads like this to explain to clients why my hourly rate is so high. :mrgreen:
    David Singleton