Options

Differences between 2009 and 5.00 - Official Document

David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
edited 2012-03-08 in NAV Three Tier
I know this is a silly question, but I will ask anyway.

I have a number of clients asking me about reasons to upgrade to 2009. Obviously they all know about RTC, but that is a pretty hard sell to Classic customers.

Of course I can sit with them and I can go through the features, but most customers want something "official", so what I am looking for is a document that describes the benefits of 2009 further that just repeating the phrase "RTC" in 20 different gramatical juxtapositions.

More importantly the document must NOT contain any of the following (or similar) words or phrases:

Juxtaposition :mrgreen: , Paradigm, Outside The Box, Sustainability, Empower or Empowerment, Engaged, Leverage, Strategy, Best Practices, Value Add, Proactive, Synergy, Facilitate, Win-Win, World Class, Metrics, Off The Shelf, Best Practice, Change Management, Globalization, The Stack, etc... (you get the point)

Thanks.

(PS I know the first reply is going to be from Alain and I know the post will be in Red, but sorry I have no idea where to post this) :oops:
David Singleton

Comments

• Options
    Oh and I don't think that 2004.00 is the correct answer :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
  • Options
    einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    Once you have it I would love to get a copy. :mrgreen:
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • Options
    lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Let's start the list

SQL optimization

R2 stuff
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    edited 2012-03-01
    Thanks Luc, but I would rather try to keep this one on topic.
    ... but most customers want something "official"...

If there is nothing available, then so be it, but I would like to try to find something if possible.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    I think the question should be "Why does your client want to upgrade"? Based on what you understand of RTC, are there any features that you know the client would greatly benefit from? (this is the part where you can leverage your understand of the client's business)

Of course there are more benefits and features in the newer version, but if it doesn't apply to the client, it's a waste of time and money.

If the client just wants to know, then I ususally just send them the NAV2009 brochure.
  • Options
    ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    I have couple of documents talking about highlights of NAV 2009 but no comparision. The document talks about:
    a) Enhance Personal Productivity
    b) Connect Adapt and Grow
    c) Improve Data Exchange
    d) Enhance Reporting

Most of it is marketing stuff (I surely don't like much) but if you feel they can be useful just let me know.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • Options
    ssingla wrote:
    I have couple of documents talking about highlights of NAV 2009 but no comparision. The document talks about:
    a) Enhance Personal Productivity
    b) Connect Adapt and Grow
    c) Improve Data Exchange
    d) Enhance Reporting

Most of it is marketing stuff (I surely don't like much) but if you feel they can be useful just let me know.

Do you have a link to these? I am pretty sure I have seen all these except c) Improve Data Exchange.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    I don't have the link but a file in my "Marketing Documents" folder. Just PM me your email id and I will send you the documents.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • Options
    pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    The R2 product cd includes two documents called "370 to 2009 Feature Enhancements.pdf" and "400 to 2009 Feature Enhancements.pdf". It seems Microsoft doesn't consider 2009 to be changed enough since 5.00 to require a description.
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    From what I understand is that there are no additonal funtionality (busniness wise) between 5.00 and 2009.
    2009 was a technical update, with RTC and webservices as the great pluspoint.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • Options
    Thanks Peter and Sog, those two posts come close to answering why there is nothing available. Makes sense I guess.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    (PS I know the first reply is going to be from Alain and I know the post will be in Red, but sorry I have no idea where to post this) :oops:
    2 times wrong :lol:

Differences:
    -1 official reason : 500 is not supported any-more.
    -1 unofficial reason (and my preferred reason): webservices (well.. depends if they are useful. instead of NAS+jobqueue, use http://mibuso.com/blogs/ara3n/2009/11/14/replacing-nas-with-sql-jobs-and-nav-web-service/).
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!